Default The itch is upon me.

It's 66 degrees here, doing winter planting, haven't seen a single bee, don't have a flower in bloom at the moment.

I've got that BT powder, going to spray my comb. Someone remind me it is too early? Figure I'll put the traps on top of my wrecked mazda, sitting in the center of the bee lot for ornamentation. I am DUE for some good luck.

Gypsi

I have a pint sprayer.... wonder if there are any instructions on here to get the quantity low enough for 7 frames of comb...
    Last edited by Gypsi; 12-30-2011 at 03:38 PM. Reason: bt question?
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, guess I will teach permaculture in drought. The bees are still alive.

Default Re: The itch is upon me.

Not too early for the BT spray on comb as it lasts for a number of years (well at least 2)

how much for a pint?
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, guess I will teach permaculture in drought. The bees are still alive.

Calls for 2-4 teaspoonfuls per gallon .........so take it from there.........

Thank you - all I could find were instructions involving acreage and pounds. I'll do it tomorrow. Cut wood, hauled water, chased chickens today.

Comb is sprayed! I'm setting up bait hive 1 tomorrow maybe. It was 65 today. I want one out there the next time it is 65.

I have a pretty secure spot to put it I think. As secure as the shed it's presently sitting in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Not too early for the BT spray on comb as it lasts for a number of years (well at least 2)
    What is BT?

Regards, Barry

I will be putting together some swarm traps tomorrow, got some old barn wood that will be perfect, already have the lengths cut, just gotta glue, nail, put a top and bottom on and get ready to place them!! Gonna also head over to a couple of bee trees and get them prepared to do a trap out in the spring. Gonna wire up around the entrances and set the box attachment on so they get used to coming and going out of it, then the box will be added in February/March!! Free bee's!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Quote Originally Posted by EastSideBuzz View Post
    What is BT?
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...Aizawai-Powder

I set a trap in a nuc yesterday, where I caught the swarm last year, same nuc too. A frame of BT sprayed comb, couple of old plastic frames without comb. Need to get some wood frames without foundation to hang in it. Put a ziploc with lemongrass oil in the bottom. May have reduced the entrance too far, about a bee's width, standard bottom board. But I'm thinking this is going to be one of those mild Texas winters when spring starts in February, not deep freezes, just based on how it's been so far.

I always like to plant something, start something on January 1st. Planted scarlet and white clover, and wildflower mix yesterday too.