Hybrid View

Default 10 drums of slumgum

I have ten drums of slumgum I need to get the wax out of. any thoughts? I do not have a wax press.

Default Re: 10 drums of slumgum

Find someone who does wax rendering in your area, usually you pay a percentage of the yield, for slum it would likely be 50% or more. You have to press slum under hot water to get the wax out.

Without a tank to heat it in and a press you won't get all the wax out of it. Depending on how you collect it when you drum it, you could get upwards to 75 to 100 lbs of saved wax per drum if you have it pressed.

I press all my slum out in July when it is hot outside. How much slum do you have? Slum saves for years. The moths don't like it as much. I get 75-95 lb from a barrel. I only produce 1-2 barrels a year so, if I don't need the wax I just store for another season to render out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G. Laury View Post
    Find someone who does wax rendering in your area, usually you pay a percentage of the yield, for slum it would likely be 50% or more. You have to press slum under hot water to get the wax out.
    Why does the slum need to be pressed under hot water to get the wax out?

Wouldn't you be able to press the wax out if you had a way to heat your press to above the melting point of wax?

The boiling water is how you get everything up to heat, so the wax can be seperated.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Understanding the point that hard wax will not press out of the junk if you took already hot liquid slum and dropped into into a heated press couldn't you just press out the wax slowly to bring out the rest of the wax?

Is there another advantage to using water with pressing that I am not understanding?

The reason I am asking is I am considering building my own heated press so I can process my own slum.

I believe that one will get more wax out of the slum gum using steam heated water and a press, than one would by simply pressing hot slum gum.

What is the heat source you are considering?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter