Default Greetings form Northern Virginia!

Hello all,

I am happy to have found this forum. I have been reading the posts and they have been very informative. I am a mom of two young kids that have always enjoyed gardening and now hope they enjoy and learn about beekeeping also.

I will be taking a class from a local beekeeper in a few weeks and I can order my supply and bees from him as well.

I welcome any info about urban beekeeping with children.

Default Re: Greetings form Northern Virginia!

WELCOME!!! so good to have you

Welcome VAMom!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome to the site

Welcome! Hopefully the class you're taking is with one of the local beekeeping groups. If not, I HIGHLY recommend joining one.

http://www.beekeepersnova.org/
    http://www.loudounbee.org/
    http://pwrbeekeepers.com/
    http://dcbeekeepers.org/

Enjoy!

I am in Bethesda and keep two hives on 1/6 of an acre. I have a back yard that is completely fenced and is surrounded by large trees, so the bees are forced to fly up and over my house when they are foraging. I positioned my hives so that the entrances face my house, which is about 20 feet away from them. My hives sit a bit higher than the rest of my back yard because they are on a terraced level and I keep my hives about one foot off the ground. I can literally walk 6 to 9 feet in front of my hives all day and they just ignore me. About the only thing that bothered them all year was when I used my leaf blower to clean up my leaves, so I just put on my bee suit and did what I needed to do. I don't have any small children, but if you teach them to respect the hive and use some common sense risk management, you and your children should be fine. Between now and when you start this wonderful pursuit, my advice would be that you soak up all of the information you can find, not just from one source, and that you make your own decisions about what kind of bees and equipment you want. Good luck.

Thanks for your replies!
    Edcrosbys: I tried to set up a class with a local bee group but never got a reply. I then enrolled for a class with a local bee keeper. I have also sent in a request for membership into BNVA and I am waiting to hear back from them. I will attend a gardening symposium at the end of February where Brenda Kiessling will do a presentation on bees. I hope to have a plan of what I will be doing by then and talk to her.
    daddydon5: Thanks for sharing your experience with your landscape. The kids and I are in the garden quite often but we have also been observing a friend tend to her hives. My daughter, 8 yrs old, is very excited about getting the bees. I agree that teaching them about it is the best way for them to learn to give the bees their space. I will take the precautions though and put up a small fence around the hive, more to keep out any other kids that are here visiting and also the dog. I don't know how he will react to the bees..

VAMOM,
    Welcome to beekeeping! I lived in Kings Park in Springfield off of Braddock Road for many years so I'm very familiar with your surroundings. Though the area is quite built up there are numerous parks and forage areas in Springfield so you should do well there. Have fun and best of luck!
    To everything there is a season....