Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Outdoor observation hive: design, concepts, experience

I just thought of something. It might be better to use double pane and then cover it with a board or rigid foam on the outside when you are not observing.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

built two they both made it thu the winter woop..they swarmed this year made a split from then as well now that i got my proto type I will be making more currently i have one beekeeper who wants one for his house.now i plane to make one that i can also extract honey from it.

Just a thought, if this is a hive many people will be around, you might want to rethink your entrance, even high up there is potential for problems. I would consider building it against a fence with the entrance on the other side. That would also allow you to put a roof/canopy over it to shield it from direct sunlight. I would then go with insulated doors that you could close at night. That's my 2cents anyway. Here's a link to a cheesy You-Tube video of one in a park. It's not my favorite style, but they make excellent considerations for visitor traffic and sunlight.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHSjhkIOgZI&noredirect=1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12