Question Is there any way you can make lots of splits and still get good overwintering succes?

Hi, is there any way you can make a lot of hives out of one and still get good overwintering success? I'm in a short season area which is USDA zone 2b.

Nathan
    Good enough is perfect - Joel Salatin

Default Re: Is there any way you can make lots of splits and still get good overwintering suc

What sorts of things have you tried? Are you thinking about something specific? What's your plan?
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Default Re: Is there any way you can make lots of splits and still get good overwintering suc

Check out Mel Disselkoen's techniques at www.mdasplitter.com. He's got methods for splitting hives for honey production and for increasing bee surpluses. I haven't used them myself, but will this coming Spring. You can also find some info on this site from those who've used his methods with success. Search for his name or OTS (stands for On The Spot requeening). Good luck.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    What sorts of things have you tried?
    If you mean split methods, I've tried nothing.

[QUOTE=Solomon Parker;737745 What's your plan?[/QUOTE]

I don't have much of a plan. I just want to increase my numbers as much as possible.

Nathan
    Good enough is perfect - Joel Salatin