I am scouring this forum to see if anyone has a similar problem. We are first year beekeepers, and have fed organic sugar syrup all summer as our bees were hungry due to wet cold conditions. I switched over to grease patties, with a top feeder hole to replace the feeder shelf we were using, and within a week one hive had died. Upon viewing the comb and supers, there was a lack of honey, a very irregular brood/honey pattern, some mummified looking brood but no mites (I'll check again when it stops snowing and take photos). I will also check the bottom board. My husband has been the resident beekeeper, I just started with my own hat and suit. The grease patties were 2 parts organic sugar to one part Crisco, honey bee healthy and local honey from a trusted source.
Our other hive seems alive, active and fine, but we need to check the comb. I think what happened was the comb never developed properly this summer and we didn't really realize it as my husband has been very busy at work and unable to check it enough.
We live in the Northeast, MA/NY/VT border. The summer was soaking wet, and the winter is not much better. Our snowfall has been seriously weird, right now it's raining and slushing. When I changed out the top feeders for the grease patty (feeder with hole and top) it was in the 50s and the bees from both hives were VERY active.
Thank you, will post pics when I can.