Default Hello from east-central Ohio

Hi everyone! Im back as a new Beek after a few years away.. I helped my gandpa work his bees when I was a kid. Wow, a lot has changed in the last 40 years!

Late this summer I picked up a left over package from a local supplier. The bees had been unclaimed by the purchaser and the supplier had them in a deep with only about 6 frames drawn. I took them home to see if I could get them through the winter, so far so good. Fed them like crazy watched them draw and fill comb, raise brood and supersede the queen... now they a snug in a deep and 3 mediums in the back corner of the garden. They have been very patient with a old guy trying to re-learn how everything works. I'm looking forward to spring, hopefully a split and a couple of packages that are on order.

I've been reading everything I can get my hands, just trying to get current with all the new ideas and issues. I'm enjoying all the infomation... and opinions on this site.

Default Re: Hello from east-central Ohio

Welcome to the site!

Sea, Welcome and I wish you all the best in your beekeeping adventure.

Welcome! Sounds like you're well on the way to recapturing the "bee fever"! Have you considered joining your local beekeeping organization? I believe there's an East-Central Ohio Beekeepers Assoc. as well as one in Tuscarawas County. Much info and many opinions to be had, for sure!

Welcome!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome, sounds like you have a good head start. Check into a club near you , they are a great resource for local information
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!

Thanks everyone... We joined and have been attending the Tuscrawas County Beekeepers meetings for several months. I've been spending evenings in the wood shop building equipment and making plans for spring!

Welcome neighbor, I'm up in Stark County. Sounds like you're plugged in with a local group, but if there's anything I can help out with give me a shout. Have fun!
    To everything there is a season....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    Welcome neighbor, I'm up in Stark County. Sounds like you're plugged in with a local group, but if there's anything I can help out with give me a shout. Have fun!
    Thanks Mike it's good to meet you. Figured there had to be a few on here that were close.
    I work in Stark, just off of Gambinus Ave... it's a small world! Take care - Seth

A very small world. One of the limestone yards I sell aggregates from is on the other side of 77, Waynesburg Dr right off 30. You must work over near Timken?

Real close, just across the street at Marathon. I wish they would allow swarm traps in the tank farm, at least three landed there this summer... caused quite a stir! I'll keep working on it. They just installed 6 bat houses in the office parking lot... what would a couple of nucs hurt?
    Seth

Well, now they have an in house beekeeper who may be a very popular guy next spring. A couple of baited swarm traps would be nice, they will probably show up again. Good luck and hope you have a great 2012 season.