Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: First Forklift setup

i have one $2,000 pollination contract in the spring. i have around 24 pallets. i rent a bobcat once to move them in and once to move them out. it costs about $240 twice. i make $1500 that i couldn't make at all without the machine. i plan to own a machine in a few years. i'm guessing it will be a bobcat, because of the other things we do around here, although i use another guys swinger in the almonds (moving his bees) and love it.if i was going to go big for pollination it'd be a swinger. i've never tried a hummerbee.

Quote Originally Posted by justin View Post
    i have one $2,000 pollination contract in the spring. i have around 24 pallets. i rent a bobcat once to move them in and once to move them out.
    Give a buddy $100 to help you and load them by hand, $2000 sounds like about 35 hives... not too tough... and I am an old man! Put $400 in your pocket towards a bobcat.... when you have to move at least 200

Anyone remember when beeks made a forklift out of an old 4wd jeep or toyota chassis with steering reversed and a fork mast welded to the rear. 1967?? I know of 2 still being used after 45 yrs.

We still have one that was a Ford Bronco. I used it this morning but not to move bees. It doesn't see much bee action anymore but in its day it did.

Where would be the best place to look for a used bobcat in the $6-10K range. Thank you in advanced.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSideBuzz View Post
    I am really leaning toward that. Have you seen do it yourself plans? Otherwise I was thinking of getting one from these guys http://www.edwards-equip.com/Content/Forklifts.aspx

Can you take a mast off of a regular fork lift and modify it to be a 3 point.? I find quite a few junk lifts on craigs list http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/bfs/2732841687.html

Also found this but something more substantial would be nice. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/b...anybody-3.html

I have bucket forks except I cant see over the bucket so it requires 2 of us and is very time consuming. Also no side shift.

I have one of those 3 pt. pallet movers. Work fine to move pallets, but won't load a truck.

Now that, a pallet jack and lift gate......
    Trying techniques that I doubt will work because I like to be right!

I do, but I was close to you, (down the valley) so it could have been the same one.

Trying techniques that I doubt will work because I like to be right!

I have seen some skid turn loaders sell very reasonably at Ritchie Brothers auctions. They hold them all over the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
    I have seen some skid turn loaders sell very reasonably at Ritchie Brothers auctions. They hold them all over the country.
    I believe they are headquartered along I-5 about exit 65 in Washington State. They have huge auctions there almost every 2 months
    Honeydew

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12