Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Charles and Archie Lyon

7K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  rjphil 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Glad you liked them, no pollination they would make up nucs during the citrus bloom down in the Rio Grande Valley and haul them up to South Dakota for honey production. Clay Eppley was a wonderful gentleman and excellent beekeeper in South Texas at the time, he was also a very close friend of Walter T Kelley who he loved to tell stories about.

#6 · (Edited)
That was a 45 frame Woodman extractor that they converted to a cappings spinner. It was pretty easy, the basket is already perforated so all you had to do was make a bottom out of plywood or masonite and replace the lid with a piece of plywood and a cutout to uncap into. Occasionally through the years an uncapping knife would fall in there, dont ask me how I know.

#13 ·
Its long gone somewhere, I'd love to have it for sure. I am pretty sure that is the truck that Dad said cracked a head on the way back north with a load of bees and they were able to locate another one and replace it themselves while parked along the road.

#15 ·
Caroline: If walls could talk.....that's what that old extracting room of yours looked like for about 30 years. I learned how to work there, you either kept up or you kept up there was no other option. We had so much good help there through the years and whenever I have an opportunity to reminisce with an old hired hand they always agree that it was the hardest they ever worked and the most fun they ever had. The times they are a changing. Guess I'm getting old.

#19 ·
Those were the days for sure, no scales, no log books, no 4 lane highways either. Seems like Dad said the trip would take 3 to 4 days slowing down to go through every small town and climbing hills at 30 to 40 miles per hour. With every hive individually screened had to be hard on the bees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.