Re: All natural way to clean mold out of hive top feeders?
Put them in the bath tub with hot water and scrub away!! Thats all I did when I was using a hive top feeder. But I dont use them anymore, I prefer buckets now, easy to put in, easy to take out and clean and I can easily stack three or four and carry them to the yard...........and I have never had mold issues or towering burr comb up through the feeder like I did with the one I used!!
The only draw back is I have to open the hives to place the buckets in...............but its not really a draw back, I like putting a little syrup on my finger and feed the bee's by hand just for pure entertainment value!!
Oh, and the biggest bonus with buckets.............no drowned bee's at all!!
As for the 1:1 sugar syrup, this time of year I would feed the 2:1 or 5:3. Its easier for the bee's to process and evaporate this time of year when its cooler out. 1:1 is for springtime build up to get them drawing comb. I was feeding 5:3 on my nucs and had no problems and they have plenty of capped sugar syrup.
Goodluck with the bees!!................Jason
Coyote Creek Bees - Beekeeping for 2 years. Number of hives - 17
Check out Coyote Creek Bees on Facebook and hit LIKE!!