Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Charles and Archie Lyon

My dad Charles would have been 90 today. Hope a few folks out there enjoy seeing a few vintage beekeeping pictures. http://s470.photobucket.com/albums/r...0bee%20photos/
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Default Re: Charles and Archie Lyon

Nice! I really like the uncapping picture. I noticed a South Texas pic along with the S.D. pic. Did he offer pollination services back then working south then north?

Glad you liked them, no pollination they would make up nucs during the citrus bloom down in the Rio Grande Valley and haul them up to South Dakota for honey production. Clay Eppley was a wonderful gentleman and excellent beekeeper in South Texas at the time, he was also a very close friend of Walter T Kelley who he loved to tell stories about.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Love seeing old beekeeping pictures like that Jim, thanks for sharing!
    Gregg Stewart

would anyone believe i'm using that extractor? nice pictures, i like the truck.

That was a 45 frame Woodman extractor that they converted to a cappings spinner. It was pretty easy, the basket is already perforated so all you had to do was make a bottom out of plywood or masonite and replace the lid with a piece of plywood and a cutout to uncap into. Occasionally through the years an uncapping knife would fall in there, dont ask me how I know.
    Last edited by jim lyon; 12-20-2011 at 05:36 AM.

thanks Jim great photos

Jim those are great photos and a superb heritage
    George Brenner @ www.valleyhoneyco.com
    Mesa, AZ

GOOD PICS! Anyone ever tell you that you look just like some of those guys?
    Mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Nice...

Those are great, Jim. Love vintage photos.
    Regards, Barry

What ever happened to the great looking truck???
    I hope you have it stored in one of your buildings collecting dust!

Its long gone somewhere, I'd love to have it for sure. I am pretty sure that is the truck that Dad said cracked a head on the way back north with a load of bees and they were able to locate another one and replace it themselves while parked along the road.

Certainly glad we live in the modern age where we have forklifts and uncappers. Great pictures Jim! Thanks for sharing.

Caroline: If walls could talk.....that's what that old extracting room of yours looked like for about 30 years. I learned how to work there, you either kept up or you kept up there was no other option. We had so much good help there through the years and whenever I have an opportunity to reminisce with an old hired hand they always agree that it was the hardest they ever worked and the most fun they ever had. The times they are a changing. Guess I'm getting old.

Nice pics Jim, those pics give me a sore back just looking at them. It's really neat when you have in this case somebody that can tell the story behind the pics & the generations going foward but never forgetting the past.
    Keith
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

quite a change from the extracting room today. (and to think it only took 60 years!)

great pics Jim!!!! they would really load them old trucks up back in the day. seeing your pics makes me feel like digging around and posting some old pics.
    Greg Stahlman; Stahlman Apiaries Inc.

Those were the days for sure, no scales, no log books, no 4 lane highways either. Seems like Dad said the trip would take 3 to 4 days slowing down to go through every small town and climbing hills at 30 to 40 miles per hour. With every hive individually screened had to be hard on the bees.

Them guys had guns in their arms. No bellys. It was harder but it was easier too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast