Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Kelly's to make 1-1/4" wide frames?

Did you contact them about the mistake beecurious? I haven't known of them to not make a mistake right when they know about it.

I haven't confirmed this but I have also heard that they didn't make the top bars different also which will cause issues with beespace if all they did is thin down the end bars. I also will be cutting them down also. 1/32" on each side works well. I just ripped them on the table saw, however you can also rout them after they're assembled using the fence and a straight bit. I haven't tried it yet with the router, but I may because I think it may be safer and easier / quicker. If anyone has recieved anyof the frames from Kelly's please report it here so we all can know. Thank-you. (I wanted to order some,but due to financial reasons and "needs vs. wants" I haven't yet. Perhaps in the spring or after tax return we'll have to see.)

Quote Originally Posted by delber View Post
    Did you contact them about the mistake beecurious? I haven't known of them to not make a mistake right when they know about it.

I haven't confirmed this but I have also heard that they didn't make the top bars different also which will cause issues with beespace if all they did is thin down the end bars.
    Kelley's was very willing to exchange the end bars.

I decided that I would make my own and thin down the lower portion of the end bars. I may also "vee" one side of the end bars as well (Kelley's doesn't make them that way any longer). And of course thinning down the top bars will be an improvement as well.

21 per endbar is a little pricey. IMO
    Last edited by BeeCurious; 12-20-2012 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Typo
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

I received my foundationless, narrow frame (1 1/4), medium frames from Kelley. 9 frames fit easily in my 8 frame box. The frames are well constructed, strong, and square. My only complaint is that the space between the frames is uneven when the frames are pushed together. The end bars have been planed down. Some are a bit too wide still, some are perfect, and some are planed down practically to the top bar. However, this is not a big deal at all. I adjust the spacing to my liking as I put them in the hive body.

I'd buy them again, and I'd recommend them to anyone who wants narrow foundationless frames. I'll upload a picture later.

I didn't go back on this thread and look, but I do remember reading that someone on here planes down their end bars and once they're assembled he / she drilled 3 1/2" holes inbetween two of the frames. They talked about drilling one hole inside of the end bars perhaps 1" or so, and the third in the center of the frames. Somehow you'll need to make sure there's enough beespace inbetween the two top bars. This can be done on a router, or using a drill bit like this. I do look forward to seeing your pictures. Thanks for the update!!!

Kelly Frames.JPG

OK, there should be a picture attached. This image is 9 1 1/4 frames in an 8 frame medium box. I pushed all the frames together in the middle of the box. I did some minimal arrangement of the frames to get good space between the top bars. The frames are pushed together touching each other.

I think Kelley's 1 1/4" end bars are somewhat of a help to those who want to get an extra frame in their brood boxes, but the real solution which isn't available yet, is a complete manufactured narrow frame with all the bee spaces correct. Planing down the end bars 1/16" on each side gives you a thinner piece of wood on each side of the top bar which takes away some of the strength of that joint I would think. I have been wanting to convert all my brood frames to narrow frames (have not done any yet) and since I build all my own equipment anyway (except frames) I think I will try turning out some narrow frames and see what kind of quality I can get myself to produce, maybe if it goes well I can start selling them. John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12