Default Re: New Article on Warré Hives

Thanks!! We are going to get our first bees this Spring and have been researching for about a year. We're thinking Warre is the way we want to go.

I am going to run with a mix of langs and warré this summer but depending on how it goes will likely end up entirely with Warré hives eventually.

Best of Luck to you!

I am going to run with a mix of langs and warré this summer but depending on how it goes will likely end up entirely with Warré hives eventually.

Best of Luck to you!

I'm running 12 TBH's. I started 4 years ago with 2 of them. I really like them and and have been contemplating a Warre. I think it's time.

Mike
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

Last year was my first season. I populated 1 TBH at my home apiary and 1 Warre at an out apiary. After having caught zero swarms I will be populating an additional 4 Warre hives. Some at my home apiary and some at out apiaries. If my bees in the TBH do well I may try to split them and fill my second TBH. There's also the hope for swarms.

But ya I don't think I'll expand my TBHs past what I have, but I really like the Warre hive. If I do anything it'll be adding to my Warre collection and maybe try a Lang.

That is similer to my approach. I figure after a few seasons with ten hives or so I will feel more comfortable with one style or the other and pursue it completely.

I can say the warre was no work, put the bees in and let them go. I feed them for a week and then there was enough bloom (bees I could not get until early may) that they were doing their own thing. I will put two boxes under them this spring and then take a box in september. (I am thankful its not that much work, I was able to do a lot of other projects this summer.)