Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hello from Middle Tennessee

5K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Fred Bee 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello to all. My name is Joel, and I live on a farm with my wife and 3 kids near Cookeville, Tennessee. I currently have 4 hives, Langstroth type, and I run 2 deeps. I have been a newbeek since April. It has been a pretty steep learning curve, and I have had my nose in books and on websites every free moment :). I have begun to build some of my own equipment, including a modified Miller style hive-top feeder that has virtually eliminated drowning in my bees...a Miller style nuc-top feeder modified the same way that i will test out in the spring, and warre style quilts which I am using and which seem to be doing well so far.

We also raise goats for milk and meat, chickens for eggs and...well...chicken, turkeys and ducks (never again on the ducks) and raise most of our own vegetables. We make our own cheese, wine, beer and mead, and my wife makes our soap as well as yogurt.

It's funny, we're not the "homesteading" types or anything, it just sort of happened a little at a time...

Looking forward to learning a lot here. Really glad I found this site!

#5 ·
Hi Gunter - I sleep when I'm not doing things around the place or working in the local hospital...so...very little really :)...I know Auburntown...pass by there on my way to Murfreesboro from Smithville sometimes...

David...Mike Haney is my cousin, and he's been after me to come too...The problem is that everytime there is a meeting, I am working...never fails...

#9 ·
Hi there Mustrum!

I am a second year beek, and you are doing exactly what I would like to do (only do it in Upper East TN). I have decided to go back to school to get my BSN and RN, and my wife desperately wants to live the homesteading lifestyle. That would actually be our dream.

I have learned a lot because I have made many mistakes. I may not be able to help you figure out what to do, but I can probably tell you what NOT to do.

#10 ·
Ralph's is reason enough for me...incredible donuts. Personally, Edwards' Feeds in Lebanon is the best around...I drive the 60 miles there anytime I need feed or supplies. Tim Edwards knows his stuff, and his custom feed he calculated for our goats had first fresheners giving a gallon a day each...unusual, to say the least..

#12 ·
WMcguire..Good luck! I went back to school myself as a non-traditional student...one of the best decisions i ever made. And healthcare is a good field, but long hours...

We don't really live the homesteading lifestyle at all...we just do these things because they're fun and interesting for us. And we seem to have this aversion to sitting still for more than 10 minutes at a time...speaking of which, I have a barn to muck out...

#16 ·
Welcome fellow Tennessee beekeeper! Check out the TN Beekeepers Association online and especially the educational papers available for you to read there. Best wishes for the coming New Year!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.