Default Preparing raw propolis for consumption.

I have read propolis has many health benefits both externaly, like on sores for example, and internally for sore throat and just as a kind of tea beverage made from it.
    What needs to be done to raw propolis scraped from inside a hive for preperation to be consumed. Can it just be a matter of deluting it with hot water and then adding whatever else to it for a better flavor??; Or is it necessiarly more envolved than that?

Default Re: Preparing raw propolis for consumption.

Do a search on propolis, LB. Here's one: http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...uming-Propolis

Propolis will not mix with water. It will mix with alcohol. Dee Lusby freezes it and uses a (dedicated) coffee grinder to grind it to powder and puts it in capsules.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Regarding mixing propolis with alcohol....

Michael, I'm curious.....Wouldn't that possibly destroy trace elements/ minerals, etc., that are beneficial in the propolis?

I am aware that many herbal remedies *are* made into a tincture using alcohol, but I am wondering about its effect on propolis.

deleted
    Last edited by Nantom670; 12-16-2011 at 07:51 PM.

James Fearnley.setup a.processing plant in the UK for propolis. The government insisted.that it be dissolved.in alcohol and filtered, as there was, cosistantly, high levels of lead.in the sediment. I don't know if this.is true of all propolis,.or.just what he was working with.
    Deknow

We use tinctures all the time in our home. We used 80 proof vodka and mixed in a dropper bottle with a marble size ball of propolis cut into tiny pieces.
    ~Michelle