Default how far will 1 oz of lemon grass oil go when used in trapping swarms?

how far will 1 oz of lemon grass oil go when used in trapping swarms? i see all sizes on Amazon.com but i tend to over due it when ordering..

Default Re: how far will 1 oz of lemon grass oil go when used in trapping swarms?

A very long way. You only want to dip the very tip of a q-tip in the oil and place in a small ziplock bag with a tiny hole punched in the bag. Then place the bag in the swarm box. This will last you for around 30 days. I also place a tiny drop on the outside near the entrance to the swarm box to help them locate it. Check it every 10 days or so to see if you have bees. When you check it, re-apply a tiny drop to the outside again if there isn't any moved in.
    Placement is key also. Place the box as high as you can reach in a lone tree located AWAY from a tree line, but close and close proximity to water. This of course is if you are trying to capture away from your bee yard. In your bee yard, place several around to capture your own bees. Good luck!
    9/11/01 NEVER Forget! 343

Default Re: how far will 1 oz of lemon grass oil go when used in trapping swarms?

thank you... when lemon oil is placed outside the entrance is it affected by rain?

Quote Originally Posted by adamant View Post
    thank you... when lemon oil is placed outside the entrance is it affected by rain?
    Not sure, i'd assume it would. I just put a small drop on my finger and smear it on the hive when I'm out checking my swarm boxes. Quick and easy.
    The thing about trapping swarms, it's like fishing, just because you are using bait, doesn't mean you will get a fish. I think it's got alot of luck involved also.
    You tube some videos, there's a guy here in Texas that traps bees and does videos on how he does it.
    If you have bees, save old dead queens and mix them with the LG and some denatured alcohol, makes really nice swarm bait. Old melted wax on starter strips works great too. Everyon has their own formula...lol. Kind of like stink bait for catfish.
    9/11/01 NEVER Forget! 343