Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default East Florida Bee keepers dead bees figured out.

Default Re: East Florida Bee keepers dead bees figured out.

That is really horrible...what is even worse is not having them insured.

Where is Suttonbeeman? He's not too far from there. Didn't he say last year that he would "take care" of anyone who invaded his territory? I was just wondering?

That is absolutly horrible. sometimes people just plain suck

Another good reason not to open feed! Poor guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Keth Comollo View Post
    Another good reason not to open feed! Poor guy!
    Are your bees trained not to take food from strangers? This could happen to any of us whether we open feed or not. Just takes an ignorant person with a desire to kill bees for whatever reason. It does suck!

The early reports said that these beeks were using fipronol (Roach poison) in sub traps in the hives (this is fairly common) . It is devistating no matter the cause...but if is is.beek error it should be recognized as.such.
    Deknow

Or, contamination of the feedstuff.

“They’ve determined it wasn’t mosquito spraying,” said Jerry Hayes, chief apiary inspector for the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. “They’re looking at contamination of the feedstuff.”
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

The inference is that the beekeeper fed the poison to his own bees. The big question to ask is how did he manage to poison virtually all of them? And the bigger question is how many other beekeepers were poisoned because their bees robbed out the poisoned honey?

DarJones
    DarJones - 44 years, 10 colonies (max 40), sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 11 frame broodnest, small cell

...well,.if one made up shb traps all in one batch, and did it poorly (ie corrugated cardboard instead of plastic, sugar mixed with the Crisco/fipronol) . I'm not saying this is what happened, but early reports said they were using fipronol in the hives.....just goofing a.little.on this could.kill all.the bees.

I don’t believe a bit of it. That many bees brought in that much poison and then every bee in the hive ate some of the poisoned syrup at the same time so that they all died the same day.

The first news article said all killed in one day, 2300 hives from one beek and 400 from another beek who lost hive too.

Ever try to kill ants with ant poison, it can take weeks to kill them all. the problem is there are so many of them and they all have to eat the poison in order to die.

With bees foraging everywhere and having stores to feed from how could you make all the bees in a hive eat the same food that was just brought in? then multiply it by over 2700 hives. how much syrup would you need to feed to insure that every hive of 2700 get enough to kill every bee in it, plus the bees will pack most of it away for later, could you even fit that much in the back of a truck in a tote?

But its nice to know “They’ve determined it wasn’t mosquito spraying,”

Sounds like a cover up.

Flower...like others I love the way u jump to conclusions when u know absolutely nothing about what happened! Maybe I'm being harsh but everyone jumps to conclusions without the facts. The syrup was fed to about 1000 colonies and when a employee found the dead hives he tried to save the hatching brood by putting on top of other colonies killing another 1000. Gotta know the facts guys! That was a big mistake! Understandable but costly. If a colony dies don't combine unless you know what killed the first one!

Dixielee...sorry I didn't respond earlier.I was moving bees to maple bloom. You'rtreading on thin ice..got a good attorney? If not might start looking for one. Thanks for the slander! BARRY WHERE R U? YOU SHOULD GAVE DELETED THAT POST. IM DISAPPOINTED IN YOU! NOW LETS GET THE FACTS STRAIGHT DIXIE. FIRST OFF GOING BEHIND SOMEONES BACK AND TAKING THEIR BEEYARDS IS UNETHICAL..EVEN WORSE WHEN USING MONEY GOTTEN FROM BEING A THIEF. Many beekeepers will not tolerate someone stabbing them in their back including myself. Its a good way to get your Ginny whipped. Its good to know that you support thieves Dixie. The guy who went behind my back spent a year in jail and faces charges in another county along with another state for stealing bees and bee equipment along with honey(which he also stole from me) hewas hiding he stolen hives in my former locations he took. Glad to know Dixie which side u stand for...(Lowlife thieves).
    You really need to get you're facts straight. The owner of the Bees is one of my best friends....has done me many favors. Second my bees were 200 miles away...shows what you know! Many beekeepers will kick ur butt if u take their yards. Don't believe me. Try it and see for yourself. Last I would not posioning anyone's bees..if I have a problem I will first ask you ina professional way what's going on. But if you steal from me I will not go behind your back. I'm nor that way...it would be face to face...just ask the thief..he will tell you I confronted him one on one not by backstabbing! I have ethics which I understand not everyone does. Wish we all did then no problems. Thus posining was in all likely hood done by a non beekeeper from what I've been told but Boone knows for sure. Dixie next time u better get your facts before engaging your opinion.

Keith comollo...no open feeding was going on.geez guys don't comment if you don't know the facts. Feeding was done inside the hives in division board feeders. They ate still toxic to the bees even after being pressure washed

That's the point I think everyone missed, It was a tank of feed that was poisoned. It also looks like the guy was away when it happened then either came back to use the feed or the bees died on the feed while he was gone.

Just my $0.02
    Ok, now we have a liability problem.
    The secondary killing of bees, beekeeper #2 lost his investment because of the other beekeepers management down the road.
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

This kind of thing has been going on for many years in places where beekeepers are fighting over pasture. Range wars. Mostly Florida and Southern California. Poison, fires, destruction by trucks, etc. Takes a special type of person to actually do it.

deknow; the Fipronil used in SHB traps by both these beekeepers was not the source of the poison. David Webb's syrup was poisoned while in a tote on the back of his truck; most likely deliberately. The actual poison used has not been identified yet although it appears it was a type used to kill ants and roaches and other crawling bugs. Most insecticides deteriorate rapidly, leaving only trace chemicals, so a positive ID of the source may be impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by suttonbeeman View Post
    Flower...like others I love the way u jump to conclusions when u know absolutely nothing about what happened! Maybe I'm being harsh but everyone jumps to conclusions without the facts. The syrup was fed to about 1000 colonies and when a employee found the dead hives he tried to save the hatching brood by putting on top of other colonies killing another 1000. Gotta know the facts guys! That was a big mistake! Understandable but costly. If a colony dies don't combine unless you know what killed the first one!
    Sutton
    Your right I was not there, I only know what I read in the two news articles. Which I did not believe. Which according to you I am RIGHT not to "believe a bit of it". Maybe someone who knows should contact Floridatoday.com and others and have them correct all the news articles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSGxG...eature=related

http://www.naturalnews.com/033781_ho...esticides.html

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/...y=mod|mostview

Since you do know more about this tragic event maybe you could explain to us a few other question that were left out of the news articles. 1. Another beek lost 400 hives 1/2 miles away at the same time? 2. Was the feed corn syrup in 55gal drums? 3. How many gallons of syrup were poisoned? 4. How many gallons did they use to fill 1000 feeder and how long would it take? 5. How long would it take to move 1000 brood boxes on the top of 1000 other hives? 6. One employee did this? 7. What is the name of the insecticide used? 8. How many pounds of insecticide was mixed in the feed.

Not exactly sure of exact numbers but here is a general answer. Total operation is several thousand hives. There are a number of employees and about 8 or 10 were invilved some new employees. The syrup was in a tote and it was fairly full. Poor honey flow from pepper so Bees were being g fed to stimulate brood...not sure how much per hive but generally 1/2 gal. I with a helper can feed. 1000 colonies in one day if yards are. close togather using a pump. Not sure how long it would take to move that many boxes but a crew of 10 can move lots quick. Bad part is some equipment was irradiated and its still toxic. Feeders pressure washed are still toxic. I don't think anyone knows how much flripinol was used but it was many times the lethal dose. It is my understanding that investigation is ongoing and general thought is it probably was not a beekeeper but someone who didn't want beekeepers/bees in the area.