Hybrid View

Default How much is a small cell treatment free nuc worth?

If I wanted to sell a frame of drawn small cell comb, how much would it be worth? How much would a small cell nuc be worth?
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Default Re: How does a beekeeper, currently treating on LC, move to a SC treatment free progr

You might want this in its own thread.
    Regards, Barry

Default Re: How does a beekeeper, currently treating on LC, move to a SC treatment free progr

Good point.

I sold two nucs this year for what I thought was a pretty good standard price, $100. But the user Lady Spirit Moon I think it was selling nucs for nearly $300.
    When I was buying them, I got a total of six from Don Kuchenmeister. He sells them now for $125 though I wouldn't call his bees treatment-free. He uses essential oils which of all I'd be most okay with which is why I bought from him. The best part with him is that he ships which is really nice.

Conventional nucs seem to range around the $80 to $125 range.
    Last edited by Solomon Parker; 12-12-2011 at 06:27 PM.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

The last nucs I purchased were $125 for a 4 frame large cell over-wintered nuc. No frame exchange. From a well thought of commercial bee keeper who also raises his own queens. I can't imagine paying much of a premium for small cell treatment free bees, but some people might. I felt like there was already a premium in the $125 price and I was ok with paying it.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Beeweaver has their nucs currently listed listed for 185. They're treatment free but, I don't know about cell size or
    what type of foundation. Goes to show you how demand drives pricing.

$125.00 is what I feel is a fair/average price, but I'm a cheepskate. Only the market can tell you what it will bear.

I know where to get 3 frame nucs for $75 each. I also know places selling nucs for $200 or a tad more. In my opinion, the best price would be somewhere in between at around $110 to maybe $125. I don't see a premium for small cell. To me, it is very easy to convert to small cell if I want it.

DarJones
    DarJones - 44 years, 10 colonies (max 40), sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 11 frame broodnest, small cell