Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: What have you learned this year?

That our queens never reach their full potential due to reduced population...either weather related or beekeeper induced. Colonies built up to enormous populations...cell building colonies...by adding brood over an excluder...wind up with 15 frames of brood below the excluder...7 or 8 of those being open brood. When have you ever seen colonies with 15 frames of brood with 7 or 8 of those being larvae?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    That our queens never reach their full potential due to reduced population...either weather related or beekeeper induced. Colonies built up to enormous populations...cell building colonies...by adding brood over an excluder...wind up with 15 frames of brood below the excluder...7 or 8 of those being open brood. When have you ever seen colonies with 15 frames of brood with 7 or 8 of those being larvae?
    I completely agree that we don't see it nearly enough, if at all. Just imagine the honey crop from colonies like that if you could keep them from swarming. How much honey do you get from colonies like that Michael? John

The most important lesson I learned: Don't unzip your veil and reach inside to put your glasses on when there are bees on your gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgi View Post
    How much honey do you get from colonies like that Michael? John
    Not all the much. They're cell builders. 2-3 supers I guess.

MP asked:
    When have you ever seen colonies with 15 frames of brood with 7 or 8 of those being larvae?

Every year, about mid to late June. How much honey do they make? Nothing(50 lbs) if the plants and weather do not co-operate.

Crazy Roland

I learned NOT to treat every colony the same.

I entereed winter with 5 colonies and gave each colony the same amount of stores to get them through the winter.
    My problem was that I had four colonies that had average populations and one colony that had probably twice the amount of bees as the others.

I found the strong hive dead this week and it was due to starvation. They ate their stores twice as fast as the others as they had more bees to feed and as a newbeek I didn't think of that ahead of time.

Thumbs down Re: What have you learned this year?

that the "horn" ring tone i put on my phone 'cause i'm loosing my hearing is VERY disturbing to bees even if i'm just standing in front watching the activity.
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

I have learned how to assemble slatted racks and shims and will be finding uses for the shims. That sometimes the plans for assembling equipment don't make sense and it's very nice when your spouse rescues you from those plans you are intent on following and the nails that won't go straight and come out the sides.

I have learned I WILL feed a hive in a dearth because the queen will stop laying - which does not mean no queen is present but it DOES mean certain death for a new hive.

I have yet to learn the discipline of record keeping and my 50+ brain regrets it every time.

I've learned a hobbling nuc can get robbed and overtaken in a very short time.

I am trying checkerboarding this year. In that vein, I have learned that early for me is often too late for the bees.

Lol - Monka. Me too on the husband thing. He has grown from pretty terrified to "watch me get close!" (but still not too too close )

I have learned that if you buy a hive top feeder from one place and your nuc from another, there's a good chance the nuc won't fit over the hive top feeder. Must check inside dimensions! And also test equipment before I am standing in my bee yard needing it!

I've learned that the timing of things going on for other beeks in other areas tells me very little unless I know their zone - so I put my zone in my signature to help others know what is going on in my area - hoping others may follow. I see one!!!! It's as close as we can get to "being on the same page." Your bloom time or swarm season, etc., means nothing to me if we are zones apart.

Ask ONE beekeeper a question and you can get several different answers.

Plan to try: Different local bee stock and/or to learn more about raising queens; keeping a nuc or two for spare parts.

I've learned that bees are a lot of work, especially if you are short and female and over 50. But I've also learned that beekeeping is one of the most fascinating things I've ever done and I love it anew almost every day.

I've learned that there are no AlAnon-type groups for beekeepers - BA? Or even for readers of beesource...BS? I fall asleep almost every night reading on bees - and still have barely scratched the surface!

Good question, Solomon.
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123