Re: What have you learned this year?
New beekeeper in 2011, so everything was 'new learnin'. Most importantly:
- ask 10 beekeepers the same question and you're liable to get 10 different answers
- I have a lot to learn...there are people who have been doing this for many years and don't know everything about bees, that's humbling
- bees are bees, and try as we may to understand them, they sometimes do things that just make you stand there and scratch your head
- bees are fascinating and, as someone already said, you can quickly grab peoples attention when talking about them
- i really need to invest in a good (hopefully vented) bee jacket...the sweatshirt just isn't cutting it...
- how to recognize a Laying Worker hive, and how to fix it (newspaper combine)
- that beekeeping takes more time, patience, and money (even for 2 hives) than some people told me it would
- realizing that your 'strong hive' swarmed in late November is a bad feeling
- opening that same hive on a warm day in early December and being able to look down through 2 med's and a deep and see the ground is a very very disappointing feeling
- I learned to hope my one remaining hive makes it through winter so I can split, and to find the only positive I can in the loss of the other....that I have a hive and comb for the split.