I got around to cleaning out my nesting blocks and was surprised at 90% losses this year. Actually I wasn't too surprised as I did a few things differently and the neighbors pivoting irrigation system drenched my nesting blocks for half the summer. 90% losses is staggering but lessons were learned and certain things won't happen again Anyway heres 2 pics of some leafcutter cocoons that I removed and then cleaned. The yellow ones were made with the petals of bindweed on the outside and haygrazer (corn-like plant) on the inside. The yellow is always a striking contrast to the greens and browns that are usually present in cocoons and it reminds me spring/summer isn't too far away.
Cocoons that were removed:
Cleaned and separated cocoons: