Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Container to carry smoker

I was reading a thread about smokers and wondered how many knew about an Army Ammunition can that you can carry some, (certainly not all), smokers from one place to another with no odor and puts the fire out in about 2 minutes.

The can is called a "Fat 50", and the Army gets 5.56 linked ammunition in it. At Army Surplus stores, sells for about $12.00.

The can has an airtight lid, and when you place your smoker in the can, the fire will go out in about 2 minutes. The can is air, and water tight, so there is no odor if you carry your smoker from yard to yard in an SUV or car.

Find them on E-Bay, or Military Surplus Stores.

cchoganjr

Default Re: Container to carry smoker

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    ...Find them on E-Bay, or Military Surplus Stores.
    Or at any decent gun show. -james

Pitt County, North Carolina, United States

Funny you bring this up Cleo because at our last bee meeting, an older [more experienced] beekeeper brought up that a few honey shacks and a couple of vehicles had been destroyed this year because of carelessly placed but still lit smokers! Placed the the back of a truck and then fed air while driving, next thing you know you have something right out of the movies! YIKES!

This seems like a perfect solution. I don't travel with a smoker but I have a decorative concrete block buried leveled in the ground that my smoker sits on, with a tuft of green grass stuffed in the opening. If I do travel, I will definitely get an ammo can to avoid any headaches.

Thanks and good luck!

That is a great idea, i have some .45 cal cans that my smoker will fit in nicely. No need to worry about extinguishing at location or waiting for it to burn itself out. Love this idea

thank you for the info.. i will keep my eye out for a fat 50 cal can.. the regular 50 cal would be to small i think

Metal ammo boxes have been used to carry smokers in for ages. It's good to see this Thread.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

We mount a custom made metal box under the bed but have found it's best not to have them air tight as things can get covered in black creosote pretty quickly. The solution is to drill a couple of small holes and the smokers will stay lit without getting too hot. When you are done for the day and don't feel it is safe to dump your smoker then plug the end with grass and put it in the box.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

We have had a setup similar to Jim Lyons for years. The "smoker box" is built into the truck, often below the box on the side WITHOUT the fuel tank. They are NOT airtight, and the smokers usually make the trip to the next yard, but not over the lunch hour. We ussually eat with our smokers, and keep them going.

Crazy Roland

This summer I bought a small galvanized bucket that has a tight fitting lid and handle for my wife. I thought she would like to use it when she cleans out our corn stove. The lid fit too tight for her to get it on and off. I started to use it for my smoker. It works nice. A little bigger than I might need. It is airtight enough so the smoker does go out quickly. Since I only have one yard that is a good thing.

Tom

adamant, If you don't find one, let me know. I go to Georgia once each month, and there is a military surplus store at Mont Eagle, Tenn, that keeps the 5.56 fat fifty cans in stock. I think they are $12.00. If you woul like I can pick one up and mail to you.

Yes, Regular fifty cal boxes are too small. Someone on this thread has stated that the .45 cal can will also work. I haven't tried it.

When I move from yard to yard I need to extinguish the fire because I use a Chevy Tahoe, and I can't take the smoke inside the vehicle. Those who use trucks with holders mounted on the side, that is nice to keep them lit.

cchoganjr

my smoker came with a cork that I use to plug the spout with, puts the fire out in a few minutes.

I have a little wooden plug hanging off the smoker with a stainless chain from a toilet flapper. When I'm done for the day I plug the smoker and toss it in my plywood bee gear box. No fire or burnt wood yet.

I build a small wooden tool caddy I use with my portable bee bench. In that I have the smoker, which I will with a champagne cork. I have that one inside of my SUV and I can tell no smoke, no fire, no nothing. It works great. I put the cork in and load the gear into the car. Once done loading the car I open the smoker to make sure it is dead, and it usually is. Close it back up and it goes into the car. No issue at all. You can see the bench at caddy at:
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...4685575&type=3
    BTW the bench is wide enough to have frames hanging in between. Works well for having the bees clean out frames after honey extraction. They usually finish in 4 hours.
    Klamath Basin Beekeepers Association: www.klamathbeekeepers.org
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/kbbafb/

I use a galvanized bucket. My smoker sits on the rim and I can throw my hive tools and bee brush in there for easy carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    adamant, If you don't find one, let me know. I go to Georgia once each month, and there is a military surplus store at Mont Eagle, Tenn, that keeps the 5.56 fat fifty cans in stock. I think they are $12.00. If you woul like I can pick one up and mail to you.

Yes, Regular fifty cal boxes are too small. Someone on this thread has stated that the .45 cal can will also work. I haven't tried it.

When I move from yard to yard I need to extinguish the fire because I use a Chevy Tahoe, and I can't take the smoke inside the vehicle. Those who use trucks with holders mounted on the side, that is nice to keep them lit.

cchoganjr
    thank u cloe, i am only a year and a half late to thank u.. will the dadant 10'' one fit in the ammo box?

adamant...Don't know. I use Kelly Smokers but, i think they are the same.

cchoganjr

The 5.56 fat fifty ammo cans are also available online. This site shows the dimensions of these cans, but they say this item is out of stock:
    http://gunandsurplus.com/militaria-s...d-ammo-can-box

But here they are available:
    http://www.colemans.com/ammocan.htm

Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I use a metal 5 gallon bucket with a tool carrier on it. Can't catch on fire, and I've got all my tools in one package. I'll post a pic when I get home.

Galvanized pet bucket from lowes here, seals 'airtight' supposedly.... wasn't bad for like $7, but airtight is overstating it, or maybe it's just not as perfectly round as it used to be..... I have the tall smoker as well, fits it perfectly plus room for hive tools etc...

I use a galvanized 5gal bucket with a locking top. When I'm done for the day I plug the smoker with a wine cork whittled down to fit. I carry smoker materials in the bucket too. Keeps them dry and readily accessible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast