Hybrid View

Default Container to carry smoker

I was reading a thread about smokers and wondered how many knew about an Army Ammunition can that you can carry some, (certainly not all), smokers from one place to another with no odor and puts the fire out in about 2 minutes.

The can is called a "Fat 50", and the Army gets 5.56 linked ammunition in it. At Army Surplus stores, sells for about $12.00.

The can has an airtight lid, and when you place your smoker in the can, the fire will go out in about 2 minutes. The can is air, and water tight, so there is no odor if you carry your smoker from yard to yard in an SUV or car.

Find them on E-Bay, or Military Surplus Stores.

cchoganjr

Default Re: Container to carry smoker

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    ...Find them on E-Bay, or Military Surplus Stores.
    Or at any decent gun show. -james

Pitt County, North Carolina, United States

Funny you bring this up Cleo because at our last bee meeting, an older [more experienced] beekeeper brought up that a few honey shacks and a couple of vehicles had been destroyed this year because of carelessly placed but still lit smokers! Placed the the back of a truck and then fed air while driving, next thing you know you have something right out of the movies! YIKES!

This seems like a perfect solution. I don't travel with a smoker but I have a decorative concrete block buried leveled in the ground that my smoker sits on, with a tuft of green grass stuffed in the opening. If I do travel, I will definitely get an ammo can to avoid any headaches.

Thanks and good luck!

That is a great idea, i have some .45 cal cans that my smoker will fit in nicely. No need to worry about extinguishing at location or waiting for it to burn itself out. Love this idea

thank you for the info.. i will keep my eye out for a fat 50 cal can.. the regular 50 cal would be to small i think

Metal ammo boxes have been used to carry smokers in for ages. It's good to see this Thread.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

adamant, If you don't find one, let me know. I go to Georgia once each month, and there is a military surplus store at Mont Eagle, Tenn, that keeps the 5.56 fat fifty cans in stock. I think they are $12.00. If you woul like I can pick one up and mail to you.

Yes, Regular fifty cal boxes are too small. Someone on this thread has stated that the .45 cal can will also work. I haven't tried it.

When I move from yard to yard I need to extinguish the fire because I use a Chevy Tahoe, and I can't take the smoke inside the vehicle. Those who use trucks with holders mounted on the side, that is nice to keep them lit.

cchoganjr

What size ammo box for the 10" smoker?
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver