Thread: Pail Heater

Default Pail Heater

I saw that Mann Lake has their 5 gal pail heater on sale this week. I did a Google search and came up with this one:

http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_ite...FQJqMgod3zAAeg

It has an adjustable thermostat and is less expensive. Is anyone using these?

Default Re: Pail Heater

I use a round waterbath tank w/ a thermostat. I can warm three buckets at once. I'd be interested in knowing how well the unit you show works.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

We haven't used the pail heaters you listed, but they do look interesting. I like the price and adjustable thermostat too.

We do use the pail heaters from Mann Lake. They work exceptionally well in our operation. Since they do not have an adjustable thermostat, you do have to monitor the heating process. It is easy to overheat if not carefull. I would suggest stirring the contents of the pail every couple of hours. We use the heaters to liquify crystalized honey, and to warm honey for bottling. It helps to surround the pail with insulation such as a blanket to speed the warming process.

If the honey is liquid, it usually only takes 2-3 hours to warm for bottling. If crystalized, it may take 8 hours or more. That extended warming time can cause hot spots to develop in the liquid honey, so stir and break up the chunk as you warm. We start with the heater near the top of the pail for a couple hours. This liquifies part of the top section in the pail. We then rotate the heater 180 degrees and put as low as possible on the pail. If you don't rotate the heater, you will end up with a solid band of crystalized honey running from the top to the bottom. Rotating the heater avoids this.

Wisnewbee
    Honey Luv Farm

Thanks for the tips on heating honey!

you can use a deep freezer -no working --FREE ---chest type --3-4 [5]gal pails will fit in there ---a 125 -250 watt heat bulb with a thermostat set at 100 degrees --NO HOT SPOTS ON BUCKETS OR BURNT HONEY -

up right freezer for your bottles and jars ---has shelf for them -- also works great

I put mine in the hot tub..........works great!
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox OA Vaporizer,
    "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver