Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Hot Dipping Tank design

I think what most people picture is not how it works. When you boil them, the water from the wood steams out. When you pull them out, the wax gets sucked deep into the wood. It's not a "surface" treatment. I've had no problems with them being sticky.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I'm kind of curious (got everything ready to run my tank this spring), I personally like the look of the natural wood so really don't intend to paint after dipping. Those of you that paint, I'm told the paint soaks into the wood and lasts better (pulled in like the wax) so two questions I guess.

1) How well does the paint last when you paint them "hot"?

2) Does paint stick after they're cool?

Hello Mr. C I have used the wax dipping and painting per keith Jarret. If you paint the lids or boxes while still hot the paint gets sucked in and really does a nice job. Just got 5 more Barrels of wax, dont need that much but price is right.... George B
    George Brenner @ www.valleyhoneyco.com
    Mesa, AZ

What kind of paint is used ( oil or latex ) after dipping. How long after dipping is best ( temperature of the wood ). Sounds like this isn't a one man operation --- Dip, Drip, Paint, Stack, and Dry. However, I think I will be out in the barn tomorrow fabricating Fusion Power's explanation of old Gleanings issue dip tank design. Much better than the 55 gal. drum I was going to use.
    Regards to all, and happy holidays
    Krunch

Quote Originally Posted by G B View Post
    Just got 5 more Barrels of wax, dont need that much but price is right.... George B
    Where did you get wax by the barrel? Best deal I could find came from hobby lobby.
    Regards,
    Krunch

Hobby Lobby was way high last time I looked. I don't know about barrels, but you can get 50lb boxes from candlewic.com for about 55 bucks plus shipping. That was the best price I found, but if you live near a candle facory etc you might be able to do better. Gum rosin I ordered from JH Calo, but you need a UPS shipping number.

Mr C ---- What can i say. http://www.candlewic.com/default.asp has the best price I have seen.
    Regards, Krunch

Hi John, We came across 4 old stainless steel hamburger vats from a local meat company that closed down in town here. We had a welder put a 2 inch valve in the bottom {which we haven't used yet} in case we needed to drain it. We can dip 50 deep un-assembled boxes at a time or 58 7-5/8 at once. We bought several heating elements from our appliance store and use them to heat the wood. One per tank and we have a spare one. The temp is set at 165 degrees for about 8-12 hrs. At 180+ degrees the wood {some wood} starts to warp. Probably have done 7,000-8,000 boxes now without any incidents. We use one here in MI and are going to take another one down to FL for use down there.

Quote Originally Posted by honeyhaus View Post
    We can dip 50 deep un-assembled boxes at a time or 58 7-5/8 at once. The temp is set at 165 degrees for about 8-12 hrs.
    Honeyhaus --- Do you find that glue up after waxing creates a bond that isn't as substantial as dipping boxes after putting them together? What kind of glue do you use, or what it the process you are using to put your boxes together after dipping.
    Regards, Krunch

what if instead of gum rosin you used propolis I wonder how that would work.

Rosin, last I bought it, was about $0.20 a pound. Propoilis last I looked, was about $7 or more a pound. The bees treat it them both the same... I'm sure it would "work" fine...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I wasn't thinking of buying it just collecting my own.

Sell the propolis and buy some rosin.

don't know someone said that the company that was buying all that propolis had quit thats why i was wondering.

I haven't checked lately but I think C.C. Pollen was buying it among others...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123