Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Swarm trap: What do you load/or not load your trap with?

If you were to use a trap the same size of a 10 frame deep, would you load the trap up with undrawn frames of foundation? Maybe foundationless frames with starter strips? Maybe a couple of frames with drawn comb (a premium for a new bee keeper like me!!)?

My whole thing is I dont want to have to transfer wild comb to frames unless I have to, unless im doing a cut out or something. Is it possible to have a swarm take up residency in a swarm trap and then build out frames?

Question for Charlie and ODFrank since we are in the same area..............when do you start seeing your first swarms in the bay area?

Take care and thanks for any and all replies!!..................Jason
    Coyote Creek Bees

Default Re: Swarm trap: What do you load/or not load your trap with?

I use two frames of drawn comb, one on each side next to the walls to give it an open appearance. I then fill the rest of the box in with foundationless frames with wax coated starter strips keeping with the roomy appearance. That way, they just start filling in the frames after they roost. I also use lemongrass oil as a lure. They love it.

Swarms here usually start late March early April and run clear through to September.

Spring will be here before you know it. Happy hunting!!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

I use one old brood comb and the rest empty foundationless frames (frames with a comb guide).
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I use waxed plastic foundation with some lemongrass oil. I tried some drawn comb in a couple and the wax moths had a hay-day with it before any bees found it. I may put in some foundationless frames along with the plastic foundation this year.

I have had so many deadouts the last few years I have been able to fill mine with almost all old black comb and a few drops of LGO. The 8 frame wineboxes I set out last year with mostly broken yellow extracting combs and LGO had only 33 % success.
    Down by the bay the swarms start beginning of March and the dates get later moving west up the hill to 280 just a few miles. I got a call as early as 2/15 last year.
    I am always cautious setting out boxes with foundation unless it will soon get drawn out, the foundation can warp in an unventilated box. Charlie and Michael's layout sounds like a good plan. I have had no moth problems until later in the summer.
    I am making 8 framers now but have had good luck with 5 framers, which are easier for a old decrepit fart like me to carry.

Placing foundationless frames is a good idea if its a while in between checks to see if you have caught anything, but make sure that your traps are nice and level (from side to side) or else its going to be one heckuva mess. I place an old drawn frame with LGO and fill the rest with plastic frames that werent drawn out the summer prior. Its kina like fishing, the more lines in the water, the better your success rate.

I have used 1 or 2 brood frames and the rest foundation in the past, but foundationless instead of foundation now sounds like a better idea. I've only used commercially avialable swarm bait thus far, though I'd like to graduate to Mr. Bush's swarm lure. I'm gonna have to bring myself to kill a few queens.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Thanks to everyone for their input!! I have plenty of plastic/waxed foundation and also have some chunks of black comb from a couple removals that I could stick in the boxes, and LGO. I may stagger plastic foundation and foundationless frames and see what happens..............a fishing I will go come spring, well, actually i'll set some traps out in February so they are established before the swarms start!!

Again, thank you to everyone for your ideas!!.................Jason
    Coyote Creek Bees

Jason,

Don't do the plastic foundation stagger thing, I tried it and they don't like it. They like the look of plenty of room and foundationless works well to that end.

Keep us posted. I plan to beat odfranks record of 50 swarms next year. We'll see how it goes.

Good hunting!

Holy crap Charlie, I dont think you and I together could top odfranks 50 swarms!! Thats incredible!!

Looks like I wont try the staggering thing, just a chunk of black comb, LGO and foundationless frames!! Thanks for the heads up!!........Jason
    Coyote Creek Bees

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    J I plan to beat odfranks record of 50 swarms next year. We'll see how it goes. Good hunting!
    I think my record is higher, I lost track this year. This is what I set out Spring 2011, I think there was another pile, some caught more than one, the wineboxes only caught 33%:

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Like your window decoration Frank, beekeeping makes me thirsty too.

Don't plant those things anywhere near my bee yards!

Frank where do you get those disc entrances?
    "It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

You can get metal and plastic at Kelley and plastic at Brushy Mountain. I like the big metal ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    I use two frames of drawn comb, one on each side next to the walls to give it an open appearance. I then fill the rest of the box in with foundationless frames with wax coated starter strips keeping with the roomy appearance. That way, they just start filling in the frames after they roost. I also use lemongrass oil as a lure. They love it.

Swarms here usually start late March early April and run clear through to September.

Spring will be here before you know it. Happy hunting!!
    Charlie, could you tell me how you apply or dispense the lemongrass oil in your swarm trap, I plan on setting out a number of them this spring.....Bill
    Last edited by WWW; 12-08-2011 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WWW View Post
    Charlie, could you teel me how you apply or dispense the lemongrass oil in your swarm trap, I plan on setting out a number of them this spring.....Bill
    Bill,

I put about 5 or 6 drops of LGO on a piece of paper towel. I then put the paper towel into a zip lock sandwich bag and place it on the floor of the box near the back wall. I leave the zip lock bag half open to where there's just a crack of an opening. This way the LGO doesn't dissipate and it last for a whole season. For ceremonial purposes, I Cristen the entrance by rubbing a few drops all around it with my finger while praying and asking God to help me beat odfrank in swarm captures. (That part is optional but fun ).

Another thing I do is use a box with a 1 1/2" hole instead of the traditional entrance. I think the hole best mimics a tree for feral colonies.
    I use 8 frame mediums and deeps I got from a commercial buddy of mine that were in pretty bad shape. I repaired them and they work great. Talk about a lived in smell!

Solomon,
    Can you tell me the diameter of the hole in the metal ones?

Thanks!

Yes, it is about 1 1/2", exactly what Charlie was suggesting. You can see a good picture of two on some plywood nucs here: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-p3SboPh3KF...0/IMG_1169.JPG

They are handy because after you've caught a swarm, you can rotate the disc around to the screened portion and haul them home. They also include queen excluder (or includer) slots as an option.

Thanks Charlie, your a peach.....Bill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast