Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should The BCS system be replaced with a playoff

I am assuming that since LSU and Alabama are now deemed to be the two best teams in college football, no matter who wins, they should be ranked 1 and 2, in either order, at the end of the bowl season. For example, if Alabama loses, they should still be ranked ahead of Stanford/Okla. State.

In the past, I've thought that the bowls were sort of a cool way to decide a Nat'l Champion, but I'm officially ready for a playoff system. It's ridiculous to allow the media, which is now linked with broadcast networks that have contracts with leagues to influence who gets to play for the nat'l championship, to the point that we have a national championship determined by two teams from one conference.

I think the top eight teams, with automatic entries from the champions from the SEC, Pac-10, Big 10, Big-12, Big East, ACC and the two highest rated champions from the other conferences would be the way to go.

Any football fans have a view on this one?
    Last edited by NeilV; 12-05-2011 at 08:20 PM. Reason: correct typo

Default Re: Should The BCS system be replaced with a playoff

What you have got to understand Neil is that the reason they dont have a playoff is so that every game in the regular season is more meaningful and that (say for example) that two top teams had played earlier in the season that the game between them would be crucial in determining who has a chance to play for the national championship and who already had their chance. Therefore LSU would be playing Alabama because...............waaaait a minute didnt they already.... naaaa couldnt be.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

The college game would be alot more interesting if there was a play off system of some sort. I never bought into the bowl scenerio. At least the BCS is one step up from the AP/UP sportswriter polls from back in the day.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-05-2011 at 08:54 PM. Reason: language

Don't all college divisions except the top have playoffs?
    Doesn't college have baskeball playoffs?

Hmmmm. eusa_think.gif
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Follow the money...
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Playoffs would generate more money-just to different entities.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but OK State got screwed. Look at the two schedules and see for yourself. Alabama played Georgia State, give me a break, OK State played a much better schedule and played for a conference championship as well. I will boycott the BCS game, would rather be watching a rerun of Bonanza.

if you listened to the espn sports channel, they explained why OK state doesn't get to go, and don't forget, yes alabama and lsu played, and it was a tie after regulation. took overtime to descide and anything can happen in a rematch. I have no vested view about the semi pro game except that's what we have here and it should be removed from the college level to free up all those wasted seats in the class room, if the players even show up. I would be more interested if the top two were harvard playing yale. if they still have football programs
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Quote Originally Posted by broodhead View Post
    I don't have a dog in this fight, but OK State got screwed. Look at the two schedules and see for yourself. Alabama played Georgia State, give me a break, OK State played a much better schedule and played for a conference championship as well.
    Really? So Oklahoma's wins over Louisiana Lafayette and Texas Tech was a harder conference than Alabama's? Oklahoma State only played a total of 2 Top 10 ranked teams all season long as was beaten by a six loss team Iowa State. I'm not even an Alabama fan (definitely not a UT fan either) but in my humble .02, the two teams that are playing, deserve to be there. A play off system would eliminate some of the crying though.

The only people who like the BCS is the BCS. I've never heard of anyone say that they like the current system. And i even live in the conference that wins every year. I think a playoff would definitely draw more crowds that usually dont watch college football. Kind of like me with college basketball, I dont watch a single game until March Madness and then thats about all i watch. The games are usually so much better during playoffs. Barry hit it right on the head, follow the money. The people in charge of the BCS dont want to give up that all mighty dollar to someone else.
    Jason Young

Absolutely. I absolutely hate all this BCS crap and will never follow college football at this level until they have a playoff system. Now, on the other hand, we are in the middle of the FCS playoffs (these are the smaller division 1-AA teams), with the quarter finals being played this weekend. This is how it should be, determine a champion on the field. Have the top 16 teams make the playoffs, seed them like they do in every other sport, and winners move on (call these games the Fiesta Bowl or the Taco Bowl or whatever if you like).

North Dakota State University hosts Lehigh this Saturday afternoon in Fargo, ND in the quarterfinal round of the FCS championship. Go Bison!!!
    Gregg Stewart

Just a side note, shouldn't this thread be in tailgaiter? Considering in the south college football is both religion and politics.
    Last edited by Barry Digman; 12-06-2011 at 09:35 AM. Reason: fix italics
    Jason Young

I've been exercising great restraint using the "move" button. I gotta hunch it will eventually end up there.
    Regards, Barry

This topic is way too important to be discussed in Tailgater.

I would have liked to have seen LSU-Okie St. Even if Okie St would get rolled. But there will never bee a full blown playoff system of 8+ teams. No conference supports it to start. At best there will be a Plus One System. I like the Plus One. ACC, SEC, Pac-12, Big-12 AD's support the Plus one system.

This is the plus one system that I like. Itís the best proposal Iíve seen so far. You must win your conference. Increase the BCS # to 12. You still have the Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, Orange. So conferences can still have their BCS bowl. But adds 4 more for the Plus One System. Get rid of the coachís poll, Harris poll, Or at least lower itís significance. Increase the computers and the Strength of Schedule significance.

Independents are eligible. I.E. Notre Dame will have to schedule quality opponents every week as strength of schedule will be an increase factor for the computers. This will also increase the quality of non conference opponents across FBS as a whole since strength of schedule is more of a factor to help you get into a BCS bowl and/or a higher ranking for a better quality bowl (more money). Granted there is more to it but these are most of the highlights.

This years Plus One would be

LSU
    Oklahoma State
    Oregon
    Wisconsin

These are the highest ranking BCS teams that won their Conference.

Some plus one proposals would still have Bama in it as it would be the highest four BCS rankings and winning your conference is not a requirement.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    North Dakota State University hosts Lehigh this Saturday afternoon in Fargo, ND in the quarterfinal round of the FCS championship. Go Bison!!!
    Football in December in ND. Now that's how it should be done!
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

The problem is that now there is no way to know whether the Pokes would get rolled. The main reason people would think so is the media says that the SE Conference is better. But the main reason for that (this year at least) is that people in the media keep saying it.

I think the entire Big 12 lost 3 non-conference games. The only SEC-Big-12 game I can remember is A&M vs. Arkansas, and that was close, with Arkansas being one of the better SEC teams and A&M not doing too great in the Big-12 (although they outplayed OSU for a half).

The SEC has great defense, but they don't have the kinds of offenses the Big-12 does. Even West Virginia moved the ball on LSU, and Oklahoma State's offense is better than West Virginia by a lot.

Also, if you think the media can predict the outcome of a game, look at what happens in the Big Dance every year. There is frankly a whole bunch of luck involved, which is why Iowa State (a pretty good team this year) could upset the Pokes on any given day.

Of course, luck also explains how Texas Tech managed to score six points on the Pokes. WAKA-WAKA!!!!!!

Big Grin Re: Should The BCS system be replaced with a playoff

Would anyone care to guess my opinion of the BCS this year? Virginia Tech was a lucky recipient of an at large bid to the Sugar Bowl. Fair? Not if you're Boise State but we'll take it.

In the end it's all about the money. Who travels well, who will fill a stadium, who will draw a large TV audience and very likely some politics. With the money involved it won't change.

I do think that having two teams from the same conference playing a rematch for the national championship is just plain wrong - IMHO.

When T Boone gets his checkbook out things will start changing.
    And for those who think there are just way to many bowls I present exhibit A: Illinois vs. UCLA. (sorry Barry)
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Neil I would have loved to see the Pokes get their shot. But under the current BCS rules had the Pokes beat a 6-6 Iowa St they would be in. The computers got it right and so did the eye vote. Pokes have a better strength of schedule with wins this year than Bama. Which is why they have them higher. But had the Poke had a better out of conference schedule this year they would be higher than Bama. Bama went to UnHappy Valley this year 2nd or 3rd week of the season and beat Penn State. Pokes played Tulsa and/or N.E. this or S.E. that. Also Bama rolled Arkansas and then just a couple weeks ago the SEC was 1/2/3 until LSU rolled the Hog. BCS is designed to put the #1 and #2 for the National Champ game. Granted it's not perfect and I personally hate it. But the true #1 and #2 teams in the country are playing for it.

I would love to see a change in the system, but until then it is what it is. Lots of people will be upset every year. This Okie St upset is not as bad as some of the past years BCSBS.

Good luck against the Cardinal
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast