After reading Honeybee Democracy I decided to build a swarm trap that took into account all of Dr Seelys research.
The only real difference is that I made the length perfect for a frame so that I could put one or two frames in it. Seely just tested putting chunks of comb in the box. As you can see from the photo there is considerable space under the frames and that is intentional so they have an easier time measuring the volume.
Here it is just before I paint it. Sitting next to a standard deep for comparison. Standard deep is about 42 liters volume and my trap is 43 liters.
This is the entrance. 1.25" hole with a nail through it.
This is the bottom. I added feet and behind that piece of wood in the middle is a screen ventilation hole. After a swarm is captured and I screen the entrance I will remove the board allowing good ventilation for transport.
Add a cover that has some screws to secure it and I am ready for some hunting!!