Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Where's a good/cheap place to by feeder caps for migratory covers.

Quote Originally Posted by stangardener View Post
    for those who have used the flanged 1/8" tube, do you think a drilled out .22 casing would work?
    That should work if you keep the flange in tact. The flange helps maximize the solder connection.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

I'm still using mason jars on top of the inner cover, but I see these 1 gallon tin cans (without the handles) on the migratory covers of most of the commercial hives that I see in the area, and there are a lot of commercial hives around. I've also seen the pvc caps on the hives when they aren't feeding. I'm getting tired of filling the mason jars already, so I've been thinking of trying this method out. Anyone know of a cheaper source for these cans?

Bob

http://www.yankeecontainers.com/PHP/...can&astyle=rec

I don't know about the cans but I found these 1/2 gal. mason jars you don't have to fill nearly as often and they're heavy enough that they won't blow off when empty. Two bucks a piece at Ace.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=2841638

I use a brick over the hole, doesn't get any simpler than that!
    Also you stated in one of your post that you already use a brick to hold the buckets in place, so you already have them on site!

odfrank: How is that for being cheap??

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Bee View Post
    odfrank: How is that for being cheap??
    You've got nothing on Odfrank Mtn. Bee. He's so cheap he doesn't even feed his bees! He's to paranoid they will fill all the comb with syrup and swarm into my bait hives I've placed about 50 feet from his apiary.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Bee View Post
    I use a brick over the hole odfrank: How is that for being cheap??
    Same here, gotta have those free bricks. Charlie is is non profit so he can squander good money on those fancy jars. I just use the quart jars my customers recycle to me.

That is exactly what I use: 2 recycled quart jars per hive and when not feeding cover holes with bricks!
    Recently I made some cheap migratory covers out of OSB and drilled the two holes for the feeder jars. Then decided to use my scrap OSB and cut into rectangular strips that cover across the entire top and the 2 feeder holes, I attached it to the tops with 1 deck screw so I can swivel the strip like a airplane prop to open the feeder holes. Did this instead of brick b/c I was loading the hives (on 4 way pallets) on the truck and did not want to take a chance with a brick sliding over!

You two could be twins!

Went to three hardware stores today and while they had the hose ferulles none were long enough to go through 3/4" Advantec covers that I have. Might have to drive 30 miles to Home Depot and see if they have anything longer. Really want to use this Oliver style feeder but am at the point of drilling full sized holes out of frustration. ARggghhh.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

FYI Heres a good place to buy cap plugs:
    http://www.mocap.com/thick-wide-flan...-cap.html#col3

Quote Originally Posted by Keth Comollo View Post
    Might have to drive 30 miles to Home Depot and see if they have anything longer. Really want to use this Oliver style feeder but am at the point of drilling full sized holes out of frustration. ARggghhh.
    Check your local plumbing stores first since it's used for plumbing purposes. The ones I got from HD are 3/4" long so they work great. Don't forget your solder gun and solder. After your done, be careful not to put too much pressure on the tube by bumping or pulling sideways when you have it in the feeder hole in your cover.

I was thinking that an old piece of copper tubing would work as you could flare the end with a flaring tool then cut it to whatever length you want. I am not saying to go buy copper tube as it is too darn expensive, but I have quite a bit of good used tubing laying around to do 100's of these ends! Would also save that extra gas instead of driving further to home depot!

Oh Wow! You are right we are twins!!

Maybe od and I could inventory each others packrat caches, what a great way to spend my vacation !!! Gotta Love it!
    Last edited by Mtn. Bee; 04-14-2012 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Old and Forgetful!

I haven't used this for making feeders but I flare my own tubes all the time for other projects. For about $8 at Lowes you can buy a small coil of 1/4 OD soft copper tubing which will give you enough to make several dozen feeding tubes.

To flare the tubing stick the closed tips of a pair of needle nosed pliers into the end of the tube and gently twist back and forth while applying pressure until the tip of the copper pipe is flared out into a cone shape about 3/8" wide.

Next you need to have sheet of thicker metal with a 1/4 inch hole drilled in it. Drop your tubing into the hole. The partially flared section will stop it from falling all the way through. Support the piece of metal (this could actually be your jar lid itself) So that the tubing hangs free and then use the ball side of a small ball peen hammer to gently expand your cone and flatten it out against your metal sheet...and your done. Flared tubing without the expense of a flaring tool.

This only works well with soft copper tubing the stiff kind that comes in straight stick will crack when you try to do this. The soft kind will crack too if you try to make too large of a flare. You may have to practice a few times before you get the hang of it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123