Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What's the best way to do spring splits?

Hemichuck,
    Got the same problem. I had bait hives all over my property. Used comb, LGO, dead queen juice. They swarmed up in a skinny tree 60 feet up. No chance of getting them. They fly 500 yds down the road and took up in an oak that had a rotten branch broke off. Go figure. Suspect I'll catch a swarm from them this spring

I like pulling 1 frame of capped brood, and then let the rest of the hive (usually a single in my case) and then once the cells are capped dividing them up between 8 frames (there are usually enough bees/brood/cells to makes 4-5 splits from the remaining hive) these usualy then build up to strong singles + for winter. In aug. I will pull 1 frame of capped brood and add a caged queen and extra shake of bees, then overwinter these as nucs. (Took this mainly from Latshaws method).

My basis is to take a weak hive and split it as many ways as possibly as early as possible, as I am a big beleiver in a queen making or breaking the hive. This takes 1 weak single in the spring and turns it easily into 5+ strong singles with minimal work... and possibly much much more splitting...

My other favored method is if you have say, 10 hives, pull 1 frame from every hive either 1 a week or 1 every other week (or some cycle that doesn't diminish the parent hive. Either make 2 5 frame ncus, or one single, introduce a cell or caged queen to these and they will take off RAPIDLY.

Rick, I'm thinking about buying a bucket truck just for those occasions.Nothing like spending 10 grand to save $300 worth of bees! I'm just ate up with catching swarms and doing cutouts, maybe I need to see a psychiatrist.

Quote Originally Posted by hemichuck View Post
    I'm just ate up with catching swarms and doing cutouts, maybe I need to see a psychiatrist.
    I think we all belong to some weird insect cult and we don't realize it!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

>How do you cut queen cells from plastic foundation without damaging them.

I don't. I just use each frame that has some cells... which is also why I prefer foundationless...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Wow, a lot of good advice. Thanks. I'll get busy building nucs now!!!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org