Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What extractor to buy?

He has a few more years to go before he suits up!
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

I own the Maxant 1400PL and it is a great extractor. But has been mentioned, a little much for only three hives.

I also own Maxant bottling tanks, and the quality of all their products is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
    Yeah, but what about the biggie....the baseball cap?
    Ed
    Did I mention that I have a Maxant baseball cap? When I wear it to bee club meetings it's like a scene in the old westerns where the hero walks into the saloon and everyone stops talking and gives you instant respect. As you pass through the crowd of nervous beekeepers you can hear the faint whispers, "He must be our guest speaker" or "He probably harvested more honey this year than all of us combined".
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

I wasn't going to mention the baseball cap, because I figured Jake only gave them to people he liked and I didn't want everyone to be jealous. But apparently he'll give them to just about anybody! Jeesh I don't feel special anymore!

It's not an honor. It is usually an indication that you are going bald and can't play anymore.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    ... As you pass through the crowd of nervous beekeepers you can hear the faint whispers, "He must be our guest speaker" or "He probably harvested more honey this year than all of us combined".
    I love it Charlie!

Just following up on this thread, I can get a used steel extractor (not staniless) with a motor that goes forward & reverse and is apparantly in reasonably good condition for $250 (4 frame) would you think its worth considering or am I better to just go for a new stainless steel one?

If you plan to expand your apiary over the next couple of seasons I would get something larger than a four frame.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

I would bite it and get the stainless one it the funds are there.
    A vet is someone at some time in there life signed a blank check to the people of America that included there life.

Stainless, new or old no matter what size.
    Brian Cardinal

Appreciate the feedback, stainless was my thought although I was tempted to lower my sights on this one! I'm running WSP size, is a 4 frame extractor big enough or should I look at a larger model, just to confirm at the start of next season I anticipate having 5 decent size hives up and running and plan on going out to perhaps 10 the season after, not sure how many I'll end up with but 5 next year is the start point.

If ya think a hand crank is a lot of work try crush and strain, you can then become a masseur after a season. I also think ya need to decide on your harvest time frame.If ya harvest all at one time the bigger the better. If on the other hand if you are going to harvest a few frames hear and there then a hand crank should work well. If ya have kids put em to work make em pay for that new I pad they want for Christmas. HA
    Im really not that serious

I think a four frame extractor is big enough for 5 hives. If you grow to 20 hives you could get another 4 frame extractor. The secrete to efficient production is overlap. Load one extractor while the other one spins not how big the extractor is until you grow to hundreds of hives where you will need extra help anyway. If you are buying a good extractor you could never wear it out in five years so it still has value if you need to upgrade.
    Brian Cardinal

Fair comment Acebird, like your opinion. Not so keen on the crush method, although I have got 5 kids to help I'm not sure how much honey would be edible at the end of it! Serioulsy though, I'm hoping to re-use the frames with wax again as apposed to making the bees draw too many combs out, I'm hoping to get as much honey as possible

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12