Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What extractor to buy?

I'm thinking I want to purchase a honey extractor and really want to know how I should attack it? I've currently got 3 hives, one only will produce honey this season (just starting now for me in South Eastern Australia) however I anticipate increasing my hive numbers slowly over the next couple of years and realistically feel I could have somewhere from 6 - 8 on an ongoing basis.

What sort of extractor should I go for? I'm leaning toward stainless steel but not sure if I should just go with a 2 frame, go for a 4 frame or even if I should be looking for a manual (which I could possibly retro fit a motor to) one or an electric one.

Any advice given would be greatly appreciated,

John

Default Re: What extractor to buy?

IMHO the Maxant 3100P is the best extractor you can get. You sound like me in that I think you're going to have more hives than you initially anticipated. I started out with two hives in April and now I have 17. I was so glad I spent a little more and got a good one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpo8jmxV4P0
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

I was going to get a hand crank but was told you will regret it so I have the Maxant 3100P and am very happy with it. The best part of owning it is the customer service. While cleaning my extractor I lost a bearing so I e-mailed them after hours and they shipped me one the next day. The people there are great. It’s all made in the USA it’s great.
    A vet is someone at some time in there life signed a blank check to the people of America that included there life.

or even if I should be looking for a manual (which I could possibly retro fit a motor to)
    Then consider the Maxant 3100H. It's the manual version of the 3100P mentioned above. You can hand crank for a couple years until you get tired (or your budget improves) and then order the motor which is made specifically for that model.

That said, I have no idea what shipping costs to Australia would be. So it would certainly be worthwhile to see if there are some suppliers closer to your half of the planet.

I wouldn't buy an extractor for three hives unless it was used at a bargain price. I went 26 years without one and held out for an 18 frame radial electric and have never regretted it. I had between 2 and 7 hives all those years but was starting to expand and I had some cash.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesharvest.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Purchases are always dependant on expendable cash. I would not get a hand crank one unless there was a motorized option that can be easily retrofitted. Used is a great idea but if it is any good you will have to be fast because everyone wants a good extractor for half of what a new one costs. If you are thinking about expanding then you would be foolish to get a plastic one IMO.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I purchased a Mann Lake 18 frame motorized radial when I started 10years ago. Best investment I made. Life is good.
    Rohe Bee Ranch "Free Range Bees"
    http://www.rohebeeranch.com

Charlie B,

That video is pretty spooky with those wind chimes in the background...

Adam

I know, kinda creepy huh. Like Fargo, you expect to see a foot come out of the top.

Best decision I ever made in beekeeping: 3 years ago I bought ONE QUARTER of a Dadant radial 6 frame extractor. (Dadant becaust the motor and controller are superior). I got together with three other local beekeepers and we share ownership of the extractor. We have a buyout agreement for 1/2 price should any of us quit. We each have 2 to 12 colonies. It has worked out very well.

Quote Originally Posted by tom28734 View Post
    Dadant becaust the motor and controller are superior)
    Superior to what? If your saying that Dadant is superior to Maxant then you should do a little more research. Our club had a Dadant to use for free and I still bought a Maxant. Much better craftsmanship and durability IMHO.

Free shipping ( US ONLY ) on all 3100 models for the month of December!
    Last edited by MAXANT; 11-30-2011 at 06:49 PM.
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

I would highly recommend the Maxant 3100P, if they are available there. I would be surprised if they had free shipping to Australia.
    You will definitely want a powered model though. You have to crank the manual ones for almost 1/2 an hour to get all the honey out. Unless your training for a one armed wheel chair race, you probably wouldn't be too happy about it.
    I just bought a Maxant 3100P a couple months ago, and it is built like a battle ship, and works great. I went factory to pick it up, and the people were awesome. As my apiary grows they will definitely be an important resource for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvair68 View Post
    and it is built like a battle ship, and works great.
    I am sure it works great and looks nice but I don't think you have seen to many battle ships or equipment built like them.
    Brian Cardinal

I have a maxant 3100 Manual and unless I'm leaving a ton of honey in the frames, spinning them out tangentaly they are done with in like 5 mins and they seem to be pretty dry. Leaving just a little honey on there seems to encourage them to get right back up there and repair what ever damage you might have done. All my frames from extracting this year went back on with a little damage, some with a lot of damage (amazingly that was when I tried my foundationless frames radially, I thought that would have been easier on them), but with in a week they had them all fixed up again. Just too bad we ended the summer with a drought so I didn't get another drop after harvesting in June.

I think the issue with foundationless is not being attached at the bottom of the frame. With more weight/ honey on one side than the other the force can bend to one side and rip out the comb. The action of uncapping probably weakens the comb at the top to start with. Supporting the comb with rubber bands like you do with a cut out might help.
    Brian Cardinal

I thought about using the rubber bands, but decided it was more trouble than it was worth. The frames spun out faster with tangential than with radial with out the blow out problems (I am guessing because the cage acted like a support) I could still do like 6 mediums tangentialy I just had to over lap the bars a little. I guess I'll still do my shallow's radially because most of those have the plastic foundation (from my starter kit like 8 years ago LOL)

I have a well built Maxant 3100P I bought this year good price but excellent machine. Just bought some hive tools from them as well great company to deal with.
    Think about it....Buy American

Love my 3100P!! Can't go wrong. I also like the fact that you can sling both ways, I had some really thick honey this year and slinging them tangentially was the way to go.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by MAXANT View Post
    Free shipping ( US ONLY ) on all 3100 models for the month of December!
    Yeah, but what about the biggie....the baseball cap?

How's that new youngun doing? Got him a bee suit yet?

Ed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast