Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Warre practically empty

Pascool, I bet my politics are as radical as yours but I'm using Warre's because they're cheap ($0 invested for 4 hive complete hives) and they're easy (two visits a year). I'm working a bunch of other projects (orchard, garden, root cellar, barn, workshop) and don't have time to babysit a bunch of bees. I think you can safely use Warre's without getting thrown out of the Tea Party or ending up on an FBI list.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ogborn View Post
    What are you talking about? Do you know? Dude! It's bees in a box. chill.
    Exactly, chill. No one's attacking you, so why jump on people using a different method for keeping bees? I'm just like everyone else out there, I'm trying to do what's best for the bees. My research led me to believe that the Warre hive would be the best fit. Just like Zonker, I have a lot of things going on between my photography business and homestead. I don't need to be micro-managing my colonies, I think they know how to take care of themselves. All I can do is provide a home for them, and that's what I'm doing. I don't believe I'm saving a baby seal somewhere because I keep Warres.

Has anyone heard or know what fines or punishment someone could get for getting caught using a Warre, skep, or gum with
    spales or unremovable combs? I'd like to experiment with something like that. Just wondering what the penalties could be.

Why would you do something you know is wrong? Which apparently you do, because you are trying ti find out how much trouble you will be getting yourself in to. Didn't your Mom and Dad teach you not to do what is wrong?

To answer your question though, probably in all likelihood nothing. First, someone would have to sick the authorities on you. Then, after they have verified you are running a colony w/out removable frames they would issue an Abatement Order, giving you time to remedy the Noncompliance and also a period in which you can Appeal the Order. Then, if you refuse to comply they might take you to Court where the case will most likely be thrown out because the Judger has much bigger fish to fry and only so much time and patience w/ which to do so.

Mostly, if no one knows no one will care. And there is always the idea that forgiveness is easier to get than permission.

Let your conscience be your guide.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Thanks for replying, Mark.
    That didn't really answer my question, but thanks anyway.
    Right and wrong? Really? Does illegal always equate wrong? Is legal always right? Several years ago it was wrong to drive faster
    than 55 miles an hour anywhere in the U.S.A. Now most people zoom around at 70 or better everyday. Right? Still to this day, in the city
    I live in, there is a city ordinance on the books that make it illegal to carry wire cutters on your person inside city limits. You can
    still be detained for suspected cattle rustling for having them in your possesion. Wrong to have wire cutters in town.
    It makes me thankful the founding fathers of our nation accepted the responsibility to be wrong and commit treason. Otherwise,
    we would still be ENGLISH. Legal and illegal can't always be applied to right or wrong. If it could, we would have a massive amount
    of useless lawyers, judges, and politicians. I think the continuation of silly or outdated laws could have been where the idea that
    forgiveness is easier to get than permission could have come from. Like alot of life something simple became complicated, and
    Right became wrong and I apologize for driving this thread off topic. I was wrong for even asking. Steven.

Just wondering what the penalties could be.
    In Texas? Ask a Lawyer.

As I said above "To answer your question though, probably in all likelihood nothing." Didn't you read the whole Post?

As a former Apiary Inspector of 20 years experience, in NY, no one ever got fined for violation of any of the bee laws, not even those who refused to comply w/ AFB Abatement Order.

Try you argument on Judge after you violate one of those Laws you find wrong and get arrested for the violation of.

Thanks for replying, Mark.
    That didn't really answer my question, but thanks anyway.
    Right and wrong? Really? Does illegal always equate wrong? Is legal always right? Several years ago it was wrong to drive faster
    than 55 miles an hour anywhere in the U.S.A. Steven.
    Join us on Tailgater and we'll kick it around.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    In Texas? Ask a Lawyer....As a former Apiary Inspector of 20 years experience, in NY, no one ever got fined for violation of any of the bee laws, not even those who refused to comply w/ AFB Abatement Order.
    Yes, I've read of heavy-handed inspector tactics in Europe and Britain (where folk seem generally more inclined to kowtow to Authority), but here in the US of A, not so much.

Just keep yer head down, brush that chip off yer shoulder (hi, Pascool ) and proceed gently -- it's not like yer growing dope here.

Anyway, I've had a few Warré colonies abscond and dwindle, after issuing a swarm or post-package install. I'm unaware about the relative frequency compared to that in the Lang domain. No biggie either way; that's life.

But I've observed that my captured and rehived swarms do generally better than 1st-generation packages. I just let them be after rehiving and do not harvest in autumn. I've never requeened post-swarm, despite local 1950's-era ordinances requiring just that.

/A