Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Table saw recommendations

I am sure there is all kinds of stuff that you need to build a walmart. That is not really my area of expertise, and I am not sure what that has to do with table saws. It was not my intent to get in a war over extension cords. My wife has just informed me that I am being insane and wasting my time. She is probably right. That said, my point was they are not readily available off the rack for common sense reasons which I have already laid out. I only know any of this because I wanted one a few years ago and had to splice one up, but ended up just using the generator. It was to run a giant hobart mixer in my backyard. Don't ask. Merry Xmas!

Here is a welding thread about the subject for anyone who cares:

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=11537
    Last edited by mythomane; 12-01-2011 at 04:51 PM.

You can turn any 120V rated extension cord into 240V just change the plug and output plug for proper 240 plug assumong you observe current capacity (thickness, gauge)

Assuming you carry the same power, 240 V device cord will draw HALF the current of equvalent 120 device of same power. So 240 cord will carry LESS current and need nor to be as thick (gauge) as same power carrying 120V cord.

Commercial "240 V" cords are priced outregiously high taking adventage of common ignorance among public.

Remember the electric conduit in the walls (house wiring) contains of various thickness of the wire (gauge 14, 12 10 etc) according to the CURRENT of circuit/fuse capacity NOT the VOLTAGE.

Same KIND wire is used for both 120V and 240 circuits thickness (gauge) is dependent on current flow value (Amps) not the voltage (Volts).

Just to add to that, notice that all are rated for 600 volts.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Amps kill. I have been zapped with 15k @ 110 hundreds of times. Of course, this may explain a few things...

I was in the same boat 4 years ago, I have a 20 inch grizzly planner and am plenty happy with than, I wanted a better than average table saw but not a $1500 dollar model. I went with the powermatic 120 v , it was about $750 . Great fence nice to be able to lightly lock it in place and not worry about the cut. I didn't want the big heavy cast model wanted to be able to roll it around. Couldn't be happier
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!

Quote Originally Posted by mythomane View Post
    I bet the OSHA guy is not coming around checking the molecular accelerator every day, though.
    This is a very common assumption. In fact the fire department has three full time inspectors just for the University. OSHA has one full time inspector just for us, We have our own EH&S department that is housed in a three story building. And yes we do get dinged by OSHA. Last fine I heard of was $50,000 for a missing blade guard on a table saw no less.

In the medical and science departments they play with some of those things that horror movies are made of. We have a couple of the highest level health risk labs. I had to go in one the other day to do some work. you have to wear special clothes and gloves. then nothing that went in the room can come out. Not the clothes, not the broken equipment, not even the paper towel you washed your hands with after removing the gloves (Mandatory). It is all left in a bin in the room and burned. Lets just say in that place you do not trip and knock anything over. Lots of fun at times.

Clean Rooms, yeah. At the end of the day it is whatever and whomever you are dealing with as far as inspections go. It is a crapshoot. Been hit with stuff not even on the books while others ignore major issues. Roll the dice.

My old Craftman has seen better days as well and I am also shopping for a new saw. Every time I get ready to pull out my wallet I think better of it and go get that blade sharpened again. Thing is I cannot seem to spend the money to get my cheap Vermont Dato “high speed” stack sharpened. I have cut a lot of Oak with the saw and it is getting tired. I upgraded the fence to a Delta fence, put melamine router table in the extended distance, and built a roll around. I hate to start over $1000 down and with fewer items. BTW the industrial power is 3 phase 208 volt and when we are building we run “spider boxes” 120/208 50 amps (like in the attached link, http://cepnow.com/?p=383 ) but we are not cutting studs and installing cabinets.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Where would one go to get a blade sharpened?

"saw blade sharpening [your county]" in Google should do the trick.
    Regards, Barry

if you are using a standard blade that does not have the carbite blades You could get a very inexpencive sharpener from Harbor freight tools .com . It works great. afriend has one he uses for all his work saws.

Just some info for many that woudl not kow. Carbide tip blades seldom become dull. They become dirty far more often than they dull. Try cleaning them up before you toss them and see if it does not restore their ability to cut.

Looks like this turned into an off-topic firestorm. LOL.
    Mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

A good place to get a good, table, radial arm, or miter saw, is to constantly check Craig's List. Lots of people get into woodworking, buy good stuff, never really use it, and will take a pitance just to get it out of the garage. I have 8 table saws, 4 thickness planers, one radial arm. All but one, bought from Craig List adds. There are literally hundreds listed on Nashville and Louisville Craigs List. Very cheap, never got a bad one.

To see what is available, go on Craigs List, click on Nashville or Louisville, (or whatever big city is near you) then click on tools. Then type in the search for saw and look what comes up.

Before someone asks why I have so many, Each saw is dedicated to an operation, no changing fence, or thickness on the planers.

cchoganjr
    Last edited by Cleo C. Hogan Jr; 12-06-2011 at 01:51 PM. Reason: additional info

Sounds like a fantastic idea. Does anybody sell extra square footage for my shop on Craigs List? Cheap?

Yes, I checked Craigs List and there are listings for storage buildings, commercial buildings, pre fab buildings, and everything in between HA!!

By the way.... Go Hogs..

cchoganjr

I'm new to the wood working thing, but did a fair amount of research and settled on this
    http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW744XR...words=dw744xrs

It handles the dado rather good with 3/4" cuts. And the stand is AAA+++

This being said, I if I could locate a older Rockwell, i would jump on it so quick your head would spin. P.s., the dewalt is at least made in Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    Where would one go to get a blade sharpened?
    Around here lumber yards are a drop off point for getting blades sharpened. Drop the blade off, it is picked up by the folks who will sharpen it and returned the following week.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

I was fortunate to find a Delta contractor grade table saw at an estate sale about 20 years ago. The gentleman that owned it passed away and the daughters were selling it. Used very little (paint barely scratched) and for small craft projects.
    It was tucked away in a little garage extension and was barely visable.
    I was guessing there was about $500.00 worth of saw and accessories. I was told they wanted $100.00. I gave them $200.00 and backed up the truck.
    One day it will be in MY estate sale I suppose.

Cleo, My shop is a mess. Can I come use yours?
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast