Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Default Re: Table saw recommendations

Buzz, I woudl not recommend that and i am not sure it woudl work either. One the blade is supported by a fairly large carriage in a table saw. If you loosen that carriage while the saw is running. and add stress to it by having it cut. I am not certain what sort of problems it might cause. Along with that you woudl have to see how a blade is moving when it tilts to really get it. but it is not a nice long curving motion. Finally your arm would get worn out after just a few boxes. progress would be painfully slow. You would want the blade tilted a few degrees something like 14 to 15 degrees even with a sled.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

buzz abbott...No that won't work. I don't know if I can explain it very well but, that would only allow the blade to move in an arc. Even if you had your wood piece on an incline, the arc would not cut the full handle. You could do it by tilting the blade and raising the height of the blade, but, that would be more time consuming and difficult.

cchoganjr

That may get the job done, but would be a little slow, and if you had a lot of boxes to do, you may run out of gas before you were done. It would be a lot of arm work.
    Last edited by ralittlefield; 01-03-2013 at 11:58 AM.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

anyone familiar with craftsman model 113.12181?
    Buzz Abbott
    USDA zone 11a, Western Garden zone 24 (75 ft elev. n34.0w118.47)

Mr. Hogan,

Have you found or did you make zero clearance inserts for your craftsman table saws (113.2989360)? If so, where or how did you come by them? Thank you for your time.

I had them made. I took a zero insert that came with the saw and had a local fix-it shop, (Tom's repair), cut the insert out to the size I needed with a plasma cutter. I started to make one with an angle grinder, but, it was very time consuming. I gave up and had it cut with a plasma cutter.

cchoganjr

Regards, Barry

Thanks, Barry. That is good to know. I have two saws that didn't have the insert when I bought them, but since I use them for dado blades, I don't need the regular insert unless I go back to using them for normal saw cuts.

Barry.. If I read the info correctly, their stock inserts fit Craftsman Saws with belt drive. the 113.298360 and 113.298051 are direct drive. All of mine are direct drive, but on some models, the saw tables have the same part number for direct drive and belt driven models. If so, The inserts should still work.

Some time ago, I made a zero clearance for a Delta Miter Saw using Masonite Board, and it works, doesn't look the greatest, didn't do the best job on the cutout, but it works. I noticed one reason given for using plastic for inserts, rather than wood, is to prevent swelling and contraction due to weather changes. I don't think this would matter with Masonite unless it was outside, in which case the Masonite would likely fall apart anyway.

cchoganjr
    Last edited by Cleo C. Hogan Jr; 02-04-2013 at 03:54 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567