Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Default Re: Table saw recommendations

whiskeytripping. Here are photos of my patterns. Mine hang on the wall behind my two primary saws, but you can stack them any way you wish. My patterns are made from oak, pine, and Advantec.

Bee patterns.jpg This photo shows some of the patterns to make bee equipment. All of these anchor in the miter groove.

Pattern for top. Bottom to show miter anchor.jpg This photo shows pattern for hive top. Pattern is upside down to show the miter groove anchor.

Pattern that shows miter groove anchor.jpg This photo shows pattern for making the rabbet on front and rear of bee boxes for hanging frames. You can see the miter anchor in the miter groove.

Deep rabbet pattern.jpg This photo shows pattern for making rabbet on front and rear of bee boxes. Note the board on top of the pattern that prevents fingers from getting in the saw blade, and also holds the board tight against the saw table.

Hope this helps. Have one more pattern to post. The one that makes the "D" handles for the boxes using a Skil Saw.

If any of this is not clear, let me know. I will try to do better.

cchoganjr
    Last edited by Cleo C. Hogan Jr; 12-31-2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Hand Hold Pattern for Skil Saw.jpg This pattern is for making the "D" type handles utilizing a Skil Saw. Fast, Easy, Safe, There is a video on U-Tube.

cchoganjr

Thanks Mr Hogan, and Daniel. Thanks for taking the time to clarify these things for me, and others. This is some good stuff right here. This will be way better than going and buying a new fence system for this saw. Im just gonna take it all off for now and put it to the side. Where i just have a flat table to work with. And save some money for the jigs (and saving scrap) Mr Hogan, does your table saws have 1 HP motors? Thats what this one has, that seems light! But then again the emerson motor is rated at 14 amps. Thanks againg guys for taking time out to show us newbys how to do things right

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    Hand Hold Pattern for Skil Saw.jpg This pattern is for making the "D" type handles utilizing a Skil Saw. Fast, Easy, Safe, There is a video on U-Tube.

cchoganjr
    This is great! Have you ever tried to modify it for use on a table saw? Not sure there would be any advantage, I'm just curious.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

whiskeytripping... Four of my six saws are Sears 113.298360 and 113.298050. One is a Sears 137.221940. The other is a Delta Table model. They are all direct drive,(no belt), cheap saws, They are all older Sears, purchased off CraigsList. I just looked in the Owner Manuel for the 113.298360 and it is listed as a 1 HP. These saws have made thousands of boxes.

I started many years ago with the 113.298360, and as I bought others to leave them set up and not have to change patterns, I looked for the model numbers that had the same table, so the miter grooves would be the same, and thus all patterns would interchange. If I were to have a problem, I can just change saws, the patterns will fit

cchoganjr.

Good deal, thanks for all your help.

ralittlefield... I started to make a sled for table saw use, but I found it would take more time to set up the sled, and it would be more difficult to make the hand hold as wide as I like it.

There is a good video on UTube by Jim Hensel that shows how to do it on a table saw, but he never really shows what the hand hold looks like after it is cut. His method only takes about 20 seconds, where my Skil Saw method takes 30-45 seconds. His method will only make the hand hold the width of the arc of the blade. I like mine a little wider.

If you want to see my UTube video, here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaWRjpJ5f0w or you can search, Making hand holds on bee boxes using a circular saw safely.

cchoganjr

As for the hand hold jig. I am satisfied just borrowing Cleo's Idea. I am pretty sure if I thought about it long enough I could come up with something that woudl work on a table saw. The first problem is that this cut is the product of a blade that changes depth in the wood. The blade on a table saw is fixed. In the case of the Cleo's design the blade is what is being moved not the wood.

For the table saw you need to reverse this moment. the blade sets still and the wood moves. but you still want the movement to be exactly the same in relationship of wood to blade. i hope this makes since. The key here is the idea it is opposite. So start looking at Cleo's jig and thinking opposite. The opposite of the saw being tilted is that the wood is tilted. the opposite of the saw on top is that the wood is on top and the opposite of the saw being moved is that the wood is moved.

So flip the whole jig over place the wood so it is held at an angle and make a guide so the entire thing can be pushed sideways at the table saw blade. At least that is the basic idea. good luck with that

Oh an pray the blade can be raised high enough to cut the wood deep enough.
    Last edited by Daniel Y; 12-31-2012 at 05:09 PM.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Daniel Y... Sounds about right to me.

The UTube video by Jim Hensel shows how to make the hand holds on a table saw utilizing a dado blade and a sled. It is a good video, and he explains how to make the jig. It is more complicated.

UTube also has one on how to make with a radial arm saw. Way too radical for me.

cchoganjr

When Cleo Hogan speaks about beekeeping-woodworking, always listen.

I second what JRH just said!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

I'm another member of the Cleo Hogan Fan Club. I just wish I had the indoor space to set up 6 tablesaws!
    Graham
    --- Victor Hugo - "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

Me too, its good to have guys that go out of their way to help. Hes a good wood worker, and i appreciate all of his help AND his service to our country. Daniel, and some other guys are a big help on here as well. Great website

I wanted to post that separately. NOW i just scored a rockwell/Delta Unisaw on craigslist with 10" blade and 220V 2HP motor. Im pretty stoked. (Im catching up to Mr Hogan) this puts me at 3. After all the reading on the Unisaw i had to get one. I traded a ar-15 lower and 6-30 round magazines. I STOLD this basically

whiskeytripping...AR-15's and parts, are becomming valuable. A friend called a day or so ago, and asked what they were worth. I said $600.00 to $2000.00. He started looking,..... everyone is sold out.

I appreciate the nice comments, and the MR. stuff, but really, Cleo is just fine with me. Mister makes me feel so old, which I am, but, I still pretend. I do enjoy helping anyone I can. And yes, this is a get website. Thanks guys.

cchoganjr

I feel kinda bad, i only had about 265$ in all of it. And he wanted 1200$. So i came out on the good side. Buy cheap and sell high. I knew those AR's would be worth something one day. This saw doesnt have the side tables. Im sure Unisaw parts are still easily found surely. I would like to find some side tables one day for a good deal maybe

whisky, Good job! that is a major find. Side tables would be nice if you get into much larger work. But a Unisaw is a seriously nice piece of equipment. Congrats.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Thanks Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by 37 V8 View Post
    Jim, I just bought a Bosch refurbished 10" table saw with stand from Bosch.CPO that works very well. Looks like a brand new saw. It came with a decent blade included, which was surprising.Bryan
    What model did you get? I see they have a portable on sale new for 399. Looks like it is very stoable.
    Buzz Abbott
    USDA zone 11a, Western Garden zone 24 (75 ft elev. n34.0w118.47)

Quote Originally Posted by ralittlefield View Post
    This is great! Have you ever tried to modify it for use on a table saw? Not sure there would be any advantage, I'm just curious.
    I know next to nothing about woodworking, but could one use the tilt on the table saw blade and slowly bring it to 90 degrees to cut the hand hold?
    Buzz Abbott
    USDA zone 11a, Western Garden zone 24 (75 ft elev. n34.0w118.47)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast