Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Default Re: Table saw recommendations

I was looking back at this old thread, (waiting for the kids to get up to open their presents) kind of funny. I upgraded my old craftsman saw(it did run until I sold it) with a Grizzly 220 volt 3 hp. I got a radial arm saw ($25 dollars) , and a new stack of dato’s. I have started making galvanized tops but have not found a need for the grinder.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

It could be used to put the beekeepers initials on the outside of one's boxes, non-legibly
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

Add me to the list. How do you use it? I have a corded Makita that I've had for years. Upload some photos or a video of it's use in action.

Thanks
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

Quote Originally Posted by minz View Post
    I have started making galvanized tops but have not found a need for the grinder.
    When making frames and boxes and a staple goes squirrely on you the grinder works great. Also if you need to remove some nails from the pallet planks that you use to make something with. Or when you are modifying a pallet to make a 4 way. It is awesome and portable.

If I was scramped for space I liked the bosch table top saw.. Very nice
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!

Quote Originally Posted by BGhoney View Post
    If I was scramped for space I liked the bosch table top saw.. Very nice
    After reading through some of the posts, I fail to see mentioned the v belt gravity drive type vs the direct drive.

I've owned one of each, and my experience is that the v belt is much better. With the other type you can destroy the little drive belts pretty easily, and they don't come cheap. V belts are generic and will last a long time.

Gino45....Others... I use 2 of the Sears Craftsman 113.298360, and two Model 113.298051, and have made hundreds of boxes, bottom boards, inner covers and tops, and have never had a motor or belt problem. The only problem I have had in the past 5 years of making hives is the blade height adjustment wheel. I have stripped two. But, since the table tilt adjustment wheel., and the blade adjustment wheel is the same, I have simply exchanged them. Don't need the table to tilt anyway. I know the belt drive is supposed to be better, but, just my experience, there is no way they could be any better than no problems..

Bye the way, all 4 of these were picked up, used, off Craigs List for less than $125.00 each. I would highly recommend this model saw, (113.298360). (Also highly recommend Craftsman 113.298051 Two are set up with dado, (one for box joint on deep and shallows, one for groove on the side rail of bottom board.) The other two set to rip width of deep box, and one for cutting tops. Very dependable, absolutely no problems. If I were going to replace any one of them I would go to Craigs List and search for those two models.

cchoganjr

Well, i just bought a really good looking saw from craigslist. Its a vintage craftsman saw model#113.29960
    This thing has hardly ever been used. I gave 185$ for it. But it has all the pieces with it. Overall im really happy with it. From what im seeing from looking around, it looks to be from the 64 to 70 model era. It has the divorced rear motor. These older saws have ALOT of adjustments on them. My Dewalt dont have but a couple really. The operators manual has all kinds of adjustments. These older saws have smaller rated horsepower motors than tje new ones. This one is a 1HP. craigslist is the way to go. Hope this speed up the process in he shed

That is a GOOD saw! They (Craftsman) don't make it like that anymore. I just got rid of an old 7" model. Hard to find parts for and a lot was getting tired on it but it weighed a ton, was solid as a rock and cut like it was going through butter. I bet I could get a few $$$ just for the scrap metal on it!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Thanks Raven, after looking online, it looks like any Craftsman saw with the model number starting with 113 are made by Emerson Electric and are very good quality. The fence will probably a upgrade i make one day. Until then i might use clamps and 2x4's. it just might need some adjustments on it. I think nowadays, its best to look for this old iron. Let everyone else go with the China built stuff. Its sad to see quality drop so much over the years. Im 38 years old, and quality is leaving my generation quick. Some day, kids will only be able to read about it in history books. Its a throw away society now

whiskeytripping...If you are going to make bee equipment more than one time, make patterns rather than using a fence to make your cuts. Let the miter groove be the guide by having the pattern drop into the miter groove, and the pattern acts as your fence. That way every box will be the same, and you don't have to set a fence for each cut. I have 6 table saws in my operation, and they all came from Craigs List, and four of them are older Sears 113.298360 and 113.298050. Made thousands of boxes, never had a problem with any of them. Most paid for any of them, $125.00. I make box joints, but, rabbets will work fine.

For a starter, The Delta table top planers (22-540, 22-560 TP 305) will do a good job on pine, poplar, and cypress, and you can find them on Craigs List for less than $200.00. .

cchoganjr
    Last edited by Cleo C. Hogan Jr; 12-31-2012 at 04:49 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeytripping View Post
    Specialkayme, that saw is only a 13amp motor, and it doesn't mention anything about accepting a dado blade, I'm sure it probably wouldn't with being a 13 amp motor.
    The rigid I linked to does accept a dado blade.

Hello Mr Hogan, when you get time could you show us some pictures of your patterns? I have a box joint jig i can set up for the box joints, but the other cuts your talking about i must be drawing a blank. This old Craftsman saw i got it a beautiful saw, it just that the fences they had back then were not as good as the newer stuff. The miter seems like it will be a good one. If im getting what your saying correctly, you build a sled with stops on it, then use it to cut your 1x12's? Pictures im sure would explain it a little easier. If this is the case, it will eliminate me from having to purchase a new fence. That would be great. Thanks again for your response and info

Continuing with Cleos thought. There are tricks and short cuts in a shop. there are ways to get top quality accurate to the width of a hair cuts time and again. and you don't do it by measuring every cut. The way to do it is with what are called jigs. You can buy them or you can make them. I tend to make them as they are usually very simple.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialkayme View Post
    The rigid I linked to does accept a dado blade.
    I have that saw and use a stacked dado with no problems at all. It's a nice saw. Passes the nickel test like a charm!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Thanks Daniel for your response, im glad to be learning the tricks of the trade. Im having to measure, measure, measure, then cut scrap then make a cut. Its a lengthy process, then after running my cuts, i have to reset everything to do a different style cut. Im building 3 complete langstroth hives (2-deeps for brood, 2-medium supers for honey each) and i have worked my tail off. I would like to build more. As everyone knows, by the time you build your first couple, you work out all the screw ups. But i guess i need to build some sleds for patterns now. Do you use any particular type wood? I live in texas and at most stores red oak is about as hard as it gets around here. Not anywhere as good as hard maple

My dado runs on a sled, but the patters for width of deeps and shallows, , side rail bottom boards. sides of top, entrance reducers, front rabbets, wax cleats, etc., just lay in the miter groove, and it acts as your fence for the width,. Once you have them correct, every one will be the same. To make all aspects of a bee box requires about 15 patterns, simple to make, and once made, you simply place in miter groove then cut. I will go to the shop today and make photos of all the patterns, and post as soon as possible.

cchoganjr

Whisky. Red Oak is going to be a little over the top for jigs. I use nice looking scrap for most of the parts of mine. it it needs a sizable foundation or is goign to be a big jig for several purposes some nicer quality 1/2 inch ply will work. You want a nice flat stable surface. I like Masonite for anything that will have the wood sliding over it. for just holding. make the holding part very accurate and that is the main concern.

Cleo mentions a sled above. for a sled I focus on the sliding action of the sled. I want it smooth and not catches and jerks. A veneered particle board might work best for that. such as the white shelf material you can find at Home Depot.
    There is really nothing wrong with making a jig out of oak if you want it to be something you use for the rest of your life. Some people take more pride in the jigs they make than they do in the woodworking they do with that jig. So it is sort of up to you. but the main thing is that the jig does the job you made it for and it does it well. repeatedly and reliably.

here is one of my favorite jig types for a very basic and simple cut. most people will just grab a board and rip it. not thinking much about it. but then when they stack two boxes on top of each other they see small gaps and little flaws in how straight their cut was.
    Ripping a board is one of my least favorite things to do. especially long ones. I like a lot of holding power right at the saw blade. not only downward but toward the fence as well. The Board Buddy is doing both right where you need it. Notice also they are using the fence to guide the width of the cut in this case. most fences cannot be relied on to do this. This just happens to be a good fence type.
    26011-02-500.jpg

If you want t draw a straight line you would use a ruler. jigs are the rulers when it comes to cutting wood.

I went out this morning and took photos of my box joint sled and the patterns that anchor in the miter groove. This is my box joint sled.

Sled Underside.jpg Photo of underside of box joint sled, to show how the sled slides in the two miter grooves.

5th cut after turning.jpg Photo of front of box joint sled.

In the underside photo you can see how the sled slides in the two miter grooves.

Daniel Y has the right idea about the base for the sled, however on this one I did not use plywood.

I will upload photos of patterns as soon as I get them downsized.

Hope this helps.

cchoganjr
    Last edited by Cleo C. Hogan Jr; 12-31-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast