Hybrid View

Default Table saw recommendations

Anybody have any good suggestions for a table saw. Really need something fairly rugged, with a fairly large table yet not so large that it would require a large storage area. Seems like the choices go pretty quickly from light duty stuff that wouldnt stand up to huge high end professional quality equipment with not a lot in between.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Default Re: Table saw recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    need something fairly rugged, with a fairly large table
    1. There are mid range stuff at both HD and Lowes.
    2. The issue becomes 'large table' that is primarly going to be with the higher end stuff.
    3. 'Large table' and small 'storage space' uuuuuhhhhhhh!
    Old Guy in Alabama

The Delta Contractor's Saw and others similar, Grizzly etc., works good at a decent price and can use Dado blades. Any large table saw will work, just make sure it will take Dadoes. You can use it without the table extensions for normal work or install them for cutting wide stuff like plywood. For storage concerns buy or build a dolly or get the wheels for it to permanently reside on. I have a really big cabinet saw that was formerly a high school shop saw, and weighs at least 500 lbs. I made a dolly and can push the saw out on my driveway to work. A good fence is another must have; fasten a 2x4 to the blade side of the fence for all operations, but especially for dadoing as you won't be using the full width of the dado blade for beehives with the exception of handles. Easiest for me is to just install the whole dado set and adjust the fence for the right width cut. Craig's List is a good start!

Second the dadoes. There are several saws about in the $5-600 range that take dadoes, at the big three home improvement type stores. I was recently shopping for just such a saw.

I ended up going for an old used Craftsman I found on Craigslist. None of the snazzy features, but did include full cast iron table and wings.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Buy a good quality one. I bought a cheap Craftsmen a few years ago before I got back into bees and that was a mistake. I am also looking for a better saw, only advice I can give is that you get what you pay for..........
    Matt....

...I saw a nice Porter cable at Lowes for 5 or 600.
    I have a.tiny 8" craftsman direct drive, but have my father in laws old.giant craftsman coming, and I have a nice.radial arm saw.that I do a.lot on.
    also just got a shopsmith that I'm starting to play with...a fine decor saw, but not recommended. As a.primates table saw.
    deknow

I have a Craftsman $200 Craftsman table saw and I am satisfied. Table is large enough. As for dado blades it is such a pain to change the blades on table saw, that I plan to buy a radial saw and do dado and crosscuts using radial and rip only using table saw.

I am not running any long series so it is a blessing and time saver having both radial and table saws.

I also have a router, did not learn how to use it yet, but I will eventually get ambitious when spring build up will force me to make more hives. LOL

I am happy with my 30 year old Rockwell and my much newer Delta. I see a lot of Deltas for sale on Craigslist here.

i did alot of research before i bought the delta. came across sooo many bad reviews. things such as parts missing, table wing extension didnt line up or had a cup to them. in all honesty i assembled the saw myself and am very pleased with how it works. only thing i dont like is that i had some complications getting a throat plate for a dado head. they sent me the wrong part twice. saw is pricey but worth it. for years i wanted a saw with a big extionship to make working plywood easier.
    so awesome having a sawdust collection built in also
    Greg Stahlman; Stahlman Apiaries Inc.

Good deal, thanks for all your help.

Thanks Daniel