Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default diy oxalic acid vaporizer

I'm not certain how ethical it is to post this, but...
    For some smaller beeks $100 or more for a vaporizer is pretty steep.
    Make your own.

Drill a 3" x 3" aluminum bar stock to accept an autolite diesel engine glo plug (part #1107) and lock the heat element into the edge by tapping and inserting a #8 screw.
    On the flat side drill 3/8" deep area to hold 2 tsp oxalic acid crystals. Drill and screw the aluminum piece to a 3.5" x 6" sheet metal (bend it up on the end to affix the handle). Connect the battery wires... + to the plug and - to the metal mounting plate. Put a spst switch in line with the 12v + lead. (fuse it if you want to be safe).

Viola !!! one vaporizer for about $20 bucks if you have a pretty good junk bin.

Johnny

Default Re: diy oxalic acid vaporizer

Can't see why this is unethical. Right now I have two separate tabs pulled up on my computer. One is for aluminum flat stock and one is for a Bosch 80010 glow plug.

Thanks for the post!
    Try it. What could happen?

They retail for 40 euros in Germany (e-bay) normally stuff costs much less in USA than Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenpbird View Post
    They retail for 40 euros in Germany (e-bay) normally stuff costs much less in USA than Europe.
    Most here are between 90 and 150 dollars or more. There's one on ebay from the Ukraine for like 40 bucks I think. I can't imagine that it's any good.
    Try it. What could happen?

Hi rafterdog .... my mind is kinda weak right now .... due to the vodka. Gotta photo that you can post?

Beemilk... your vaporizer will be as good as your glo plug. Hey, they are cheap. /change it til you find one that works with your time constraints.
    picture..? Well, just look at the excellent picture of the JB200. It's a really fine unit.

Quote Originally Posted by rafterdog View Post
    Not really when you consider the ongoing cost of purchasing other varroa controls. It is a one time investment and the OA itself costs just basically pennies per hive to treat.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

A picture or drawing would REALLY help. Mike
    Never mind. I see the picture.

How much does 2t of OA weigh?
    Last edited by mhorowit; 09-02-2013 at 10:48 AM. Reason: See the jb200

Quote Originally Posted by mhorowit View Post

How much does 2t of OA weigh?
    Pretty sure he meant 2g.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

I just went out and bought a digital scale from WalMart (less than 20bucks). One carefully measured teaspoon of OA checks out to be 3 grams. Measured it several time to ensure consistency.

OH GOODY ANOTHER PROJECT!!!

I am pretty psyched on this project and have started researching glow plugs....-probaly looking for a modern glow plug that will take a a while to heat up if there is such a thing OR else figure out what the flash point of Oxalic acid is to determine how ong to leave the glow plug connected to current.

3x3 aluminum stock sounds easy enough.
    : I know a machinist to cut out a troug and tap an area for the plug.

the rest is mechanical and trial and error.

I have not seen you post anything else on this subject so do you care to give us updates or improvements on this. It sounds a lot practical that paying $140 for one that I can safely make....
    I suppose not everyone has tools, know-how or tools.
    IDEAS?

Quote Originally Posted by rafterdog View Post
    I'm not certain how ethical it is to post this, but...
    Make your own.

Drill a 3" x 3" aluminum bar stock to accept an autolite diesel engine glo plug (part #1107) and lock the heat element into the edge by tapping and inserting a #8 screw.
    On the flat side drill 3/8" deep area to hold 2 tsp oxalic acid crystals. Drill and screw the aluminum piece to a 3.5" x 6" sheet metal (bend it up on the end to affix the handle). Connect the battery wires... + to the plug and - to the metal mounting plate. Put a spst switch in line with the 12v + lead. (fuse it if you want to be safe).

Viola !!! one vaporizer for about $20 bucks if you have a pretty good junk bin.

Johnny
    Last edited by Barry; 01-14-2015 at 08:01 AM. Reason: language

I am a little behind the curve on this, still reading up & figuring out.
    I saw a guy on u-tube putting o.a. in a piece of copper tubing with one end closed & heating with a small (plumbers?) torch.
    The torch I have, the scale I can get.
    Where does one get oxalic acid? Are there "real " instructions/ formulas posted some where? ...

You can get OA at Ace Hardware under the brand name "Savogran." It is wood bleach and commonly sold in the paint section. You can also get it on Ebay and Amazon.......... You vaporize one gram (approx 1/4 teaspoonful) per brood chamber......

Don't breathe the fumes!

Good luck!

Anyone ever post a picture of this?

"Drill and screw the aluminum piece to a 3.5" x 6" sheet metal (bend it up on the end to affix the handle). Put a spst switch in line with the 12v + lead. (fuse it if you want to be safe)."

No, it is hard to picture it. I got lost on bend it up to affix the handle. So how long is the handle? Or the handle attach to what? The aluminum bar?
    And what is a spst switch? Where do I get this switch from? How do you fuse it up to what?

I might as well go with putting 3 drops of OA onto a piece of small printer paper strip to burn it underneath the hive on top of a removable bottom aluminum cloak board.
    Burn a strip a day to keep the mites away.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

An "spst" switch is a "single pole single throw" switch. Basically an on-off switch that has only two wire connections/terminals.

An ordinary wall light switch is an example of an SPST switch. If it were a so called 'three way' light switch, then it would be a 'SPDT' switch (single pole double throw) with 3 terminals. (We are not counting the frame 'ground' screw as a terminal.)

Typical commercial OA vaporizers have a wattage of around 150 watts. At 12 volts, that means a switch would be expected to handle around 13 amps, so you should look for a switch that is rated for at least that in amps. Note that those commercial vaporizers often do not have a switch and just use spring battery clamps instead. (The above is intended as background information only.)
    Graham
    . . . . . . "those who want to see, can see". - - [Oldtimer - 2016]

2 tsp is a way more than a dose for a double deep; about 4 times what is recommended. The volume of the pan though, will have to be much larger than the volume of the powder you put in otherwise as it bubbles up during the liquifying stage it will overflow and part of the charge lost. Some of my original ones were too small in this regard. The model below is also too high to go in a standard entrance plus the body of the glow plugs should be separate from the pan on their own mount (heatsink) You may make a few before you get all the bugs worked out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Frank

I too tough 100 bucks for a piece of aluminum and a glow plug is a little much. So I made my own.
    Used a copper pipe and glow plug in one end very simple but had to have a power source.

Didn’t want to hull around a battery. So I sealed one end of a pipe and heat it with a propane torch, by far the simplest/cheapest vaporizer. Not much to carry around from hive to hive.

I was planning on making one out of stainless but decided not to treat instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALHz4B1vqKo

Here is a very simple design.
    You can even skip the fittings to make it even simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    I too tough 100 bucks for a piece of aluminum and a glow plug is a little much.
    It' a one time cost. And thereafter is let's than $.10 per treatment. Compare that to other treatments that you have to buy over and over and I think you'll see it's a bargain.......

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast