Thumbs Up Foam divider screen board

Hi, All!

Going into the winter here I've been making these 1/2" foam (2, 1/4" thick)
    divider boards for the 2 queen hive set up. It is good for both the 10 frame and
    5 frame nuc boxes. The bees don't propolize the #8 window wire screen yet so I
    think they like the warm air exchange during the cold long winter night. This way when
    one side is heating up the other side gets to share the little extra heat they generated.
    Whoever said that the bees don't warm up the air inside especially during the cold night time I don't believe it.
    Remember that I do night inspection too. The solid divider boards do not allow for the warm air exchange like the
    screened ones do. Oh, the duct tape and aluminum foil is a very good combination for this project.

#8 wire screen foam divider board:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Default Re: Foam divider screen board

Your are aware that some brands/types of insulation foam have borax in it, right? And that borax is highly toxic to bees? The presence of borax varies (according to one manufacturer) as to whether the material is to be delivered to an area with a high risk of subterranean chewing ants/termites. The foam panels are intended for subsurface installation.

I use foam board in my hives, too, but always protected from the bees having contact with it by wooden follower boards as I find they will chew on it. I use aluminum HVAC tape on any exposed surface.

Your description of "cold long winter nights" amused me. I can't imagine any temp in Sacramento approaches a long cold northern NY night. I use 2" of foam between each stack and 4" on the other exposed surfaces (front, back and ends.)

Enj.

Default Re: Foam divider screen board

Thanks for the heads up.
    I use thin 1/4" hobby foam boards.
    So not sure if they put borox in those too.
    Anyways, I wrap the entire board with heavy duty
    aluminum and use duct tapes to seal all around.
    Our winter is not as cold as yours but the arctic
    chills will send the bees to cluster in. I leave the entrance
    close to one bee space during the winter time.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?