Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Nectar Flow has Started, what next???

Excellent, thanks very much for your input and patience!

Nice design, good air flow and less distance for the bees to move the nectar to the comb. I would think that if the cleat is moved from top of the super to the bottom of the super it would be possible to off set the boxes and have the entrances going up into the top box instead of going down into the bottom box. This would keep rain out of the hives which would be a problem in my area. The only modification for the supers is the addition of the cleats.
    I would like to try it on one or two of my hives if it is ok by you.

By all means, I look forward to hearing how it works for you down there in Florida. BTW, the main input for this hypothesis comes from an experiment reported by Jerry Hayes -> Queen Excluder or Honey Excluder? I wish I had been the one who first thought of this, since it makes such good and logical sense.

I began working towards this configuration entirely due to the discovery that hordes of native toads were eating my bees and depopulating my hives from the easy access provided by their traditional bottom board entrances.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Wow that is such a good idea with the entrance higher due to toads. I Appreciate the good info. I keep bees in Tonopah, AZ and have the same problems with toads. Since you mentioned mesquite flow, would you know if some mesquite trees have better nectar flow and why? By the way thanks for your posts, its nice to communicate with someone in the same area! or start to communicate on my part since this is my first post.

Howdy azbees,
    Welcome to the forum. I read an article a few years ago about the different mesquite species and their qualities as concerns honey bees. I believe it may have been in one of the national beekeeping magazines. It may be available on the internet. Here in the Picture Rocks area of Tucson, our best flow comes from mesquite - I am not certain of the species. They are my most reliable source of forage for the bees. If you google mesquite and Arizona there is much information available about mesquite.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

i sent u a pm, if it went through i hope