Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Big Grin Start Trucking your own bees TODAY!

Start your very own trucking company with this turn key operation: (sarcasm needs a font!)

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsde...?OHID=2443642&
    I am holding on to the hope I have inside... Kutless

Default Re: Start Trucking your own bees TODAY!

Hey, I know some commercials that do this-truck their own bees successfully. TED
    ALABAMA BEE COMPANY-A member of the Sioux Honey association -*Sweetening a golden tommorrow*

Not that I want to buy it. But how much was it? Did not see a price. I can go from poor beekeepr to poor truck driver beekeeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Kretschmann View Post
    Hey, I know some commercials that do this-truck their own bees successfully. TED
    We do, I'm sure about the "successful " part. Our rig is a little newer and nicer looking. Check the trucks pictures post.

Its listed for 5,900, If you click the link there are several pics.

been there and done that with a ref trailer. today its not the cost of a truck. make this truck dot legal and pay the insurance. now it maybe cheaper to have it hired.

The price looks good, but that truck is an orphan. That would only compound any problems that will arise. It is not a common brand, like a Peterbuilt, Freightliner or Mack.

Crazy Roland

Its a volvo same kind my dad drives. They're quite easy to fix they have NO bells or whistles.

I may be crazy, but that hood badge sure reads "WHITE" to me. If it is really a "White/Volvo/GMC", I would still be concerned. Not my first choice, but the Cummins/Fuller 13sp is hard to beat.

Crazy Roland

the only thing a truck mfg makes is the frame and cab. the drive train is standard with other brands of trucks.

Trucking some of your own bees and all your equipment is fine.but all your ducks have to be in a row.A sub hauler can still do it cheaper.

I had the Volvo version of that 1987 tractor but with a Caterpillar 3406B engine. It was bullet proof, ran it for 1.2 million miles with little serious trouble. It was the only one of my 9 tractors that would start below zero and it never had a block heater.

You can certainly haul your own bees for less than paying an owner-operator particularly if you can avoid going through a freight broker. A broker will mark up the cost by at least 15%. Just avoid the temptation to hire a driver and try to "run the system" during times when the truck isn't hauling your bees.

I have run trucking operations with over a thousand drivers, owned my own small company, owned a logistics and freight brokerage. As far as straight costs go, you can do it yourself cheaper with well maintained older equipment that is dedicated to the task. Stray beyond that core activity and all bets are off.

always figure it is pretty expensive to have the beekeeper driving semi's and instead of doing bee work. use to haul all our own bees until about 6 years ago. was just too much chaos and quality of our work was compromised. just not worth it
    Greg Stahlman; Stahlman Apiaries Inc.

Greg,
    I understand your decision to spend your time on your core competency. That is something that must be weighed against the premium cost of outsourcing the transportation. I imagine that decision might be made differently for various sized commercial operations.

anybody out there run a 28 foot bed on a ten wheeler?
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

i completely agree that it would have to be based on how big your operation is and how far of travel it is. in the spring we have around 14 loads of bees to haul back home. basically for us it came down to bees close to swarming in texas because we couldnt get them out soon enough. and then they got back to SD on the verge of starvation. we were just spread to thin to be able to take care of things properly. we do however haul all our own equipment still

not quite sure Keith but i believe we run 26 or 27ft beds on our trucks. i would have to measure. i do know we haul 18 4-way pallets of honey and have enough room on the back for a single row of fume boards

Greg, I know some cab over hay haulers that run 28 foot, but I don't care for cab overs, just wondering if anybody out there run 10 rows back on a ten wheeler, and what there wheel base is.

My Dad's truck is 27' 6" he runs 9 rows of four ways with W clips. He also stacks triple deeps 3 high, he's a little nuts. It may be genetic.

Quote Originally Posted by dbest View Post
    My Dad's truck is 27' 6" he runs 9 rows of four ways with W clips. He also stacks triple deeps 3 high, he's a little nuts. It may be genetic.
    I was thinking of going 10 rows four high. Where's Tim the tool man Taylor when you needem.

those cab over hay haulers are 235 to 245 inch wheelbase.probably didnt help but thats what they are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast