Default Flooding orchards and fields in CA on purpose

Interesting piece on flooding orchards and fields in CA in order to capture the excess water during heavy rainfall and runoff:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/...ntent=20170112
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Default Re: Flooding orchards and fields in CA on purpose

Interesting link Barry. I'm a bit surprised that these orchards can have standing water in them for so long without any negative impact.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Thank you for posting the link. I grew up sw of Modesto, westside Merced county. Family still in CA with almonds. I hadn't heard of this - interesting.

Becky

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Interesting link Barry. I'm a bit surprised that these orchards can have standing water in them for so long without any negative impact.
    If the roots are dormant (ah sleep ), it won't hurt, but, you can get your
    self in trouble if you over do it.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

There was a time when a common method of orchard irrigation was by 'flood' irrigation. I grew up in the CA Bay area, and remember in the 1960's orchards prepared for flood irrigation, similar to this ...

photo credit

Most likely the orchards that I saw in the Santa Clara Valley area set up for flood irrigation were prunes or apricots.
    Graham
    . . . . . . "Reality trumps ideology." - - [Crofter - 2017]

Better hope they don't get a big wind after that. Almond trees uproot easily. Ask the northern Ca bee company that tried to winch their stuck truck by tying to the almond trees!

Interesting article but with a definite "climate change" slant you would expect from NPR . The reason some reservoirs went so low was because the water went into the ocean during the few big storms we had during the drought, instead of being stored. Not sure that will change until , oh, maybe next week?

yeah because of the Delta melt fish

Yes and they are delicious fried in butter, as a side dish to roasted spotted owl.
    Seriously, the aquifer needs replenished and maybe these guys can find a way to speed it up without too much damage. Lots of snow in the mountains this year,just like a normal winter was before the drought.

Groundwater which until recently was almost completely unregulated will have to be managed so that water is there when farmers really need it, when the rains don't fall.
    I love subtle misdirection, especially when it is so blatantly manipulative as this. Regulated by who? Certainly not the farmers who own the land. Power grab anyone? If the farmers don't flood their farmland, there is no water storage. If there is no water storage, the cities go dry. Stated more accurately, they need every farmer to flood their farmland over winter which will benefit all water users so that water will be available both to the farmers and the cities. All the reservoirs and lakes in California don't hold a drop in the bucket compared to the storage capacity of the underground aquifers. There is only one problem. The commercial fertilizer used on that farmland will also leach into the aquifer. Nitrate poisoning is already a problem in several midwestern states.
    NW Alabama, 46 years, 24 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest