Default Almond colonies without drawn comb on top

I have a load of bees heading to aaimens this month. This entire load only has boxes of foundation on top, 8 frame plus contract. What the best management practice here? Should I feed them syrup to get them to draw out until petal fall in the almonds? I feel like they'd just plug up the brood nest with syrup. I'd rather not buy a bunch of questionable comb from my buddy. Any tips are much appreciated. Thanks

Default Re: Almond colonies without drawn comb on top

Sounds like you have half a load. Drawn comb is way better than foundation, especially when time is really, up. Your going to need pollen sub and syrup, but you are really late. I would be looking for someone with half a load if you need it to fulfill your contract.
    www.facebook.com/hives2honey Oxalic Vaporizers, supplement and more!!!!!! Check me out.

If you can put a drawn frame from the bottom into the middle of each top box, that usually helps get them interested in drawing foundation up there. They should be in expansion mode in almonds anyway, so with plenty of syrup it's a great time to draw foundation.

Thanks Thedwall. Good to know. Sounds like it's gonna be a muddy mess this February.

Are you going to make the 8 frame count? Cull the duds and take drawn comb and insert 1 between all the plastic. Feed them throughout bloom and tbey will draw out most of it. Ive done this on 6 frame singles with great success.

Cool, thanks RAK. Plenty of bees and brood in the bottom boxes to make 8 frame plus. I've got one more yard to go through this week. I'm sure I'll find some Duds as usual.

yeah, next round of storms coming in... I saw Tauzer moved some bees into the orchard next to work, didn't look too muddy but it isn't dry by any means either, but it's looking like another 6 days of rain coming starting tomorrow.

Yikes, if we get as much rain as the last storm I'll bet they'll be stuck fork lifts left and right in the orchards.