Default Follower Board for winter?

Hi all,

I tried to search for this, but could not find the answer I am looking for!
    I started a new hive this spring, and they have only filled half of my top bar hive. My question is should I install my false back behind the last comb built for the winter? Would this help them at all? They seem to be a little on the weak side, and I was thinking of putting a feeder on the other side of the follow board, with a cork opening so they can access the feeder...it is not terribly cold here yet, and I worry they do not have enough stores for winter....
    Also, should I maybe give them bee candy? maybe just placing it below the combs?
    I hear my little Honey Bee buzzing............

Default Re: Follower Board for winter?

I move the follower to close up the space to the combs for winter - just squeezing the space so there's not as much volume of cold air around them. You don't get very cold there, so I'm not sure if it would make much difference in your area.

Adam

Ok, I think I will do that, we have had a few nights where it is close to or right at freezing.....granted it is only a few nights out of the whole winter.....I am hoping they make it through, thanks!
    I hear my little Honey Bee buzzing............

I did what Adam said. There's a couple empty bars,just in case they get going when I'm not looking.

Embarrassed Re: Follower Board for winter?

I'm more worried about having a warm winter, and the bees staying active or trying to raise brood and burning through what little
    bit they have now.