Default Part 3 of Insulated Top Bar Hives

Hi all,
    Thanks to those who took the time to view and response to my photos and notes. Yes, I agree that too much insulation could cause an unhealthy rise in hive moisture, but I believe that is not much of a danger in cold weather. When Nectar is flowing, then isn't moisture high due to the high water content of the nectar and the bees working to reduce moisture? In cold weather, the honey is sealed and low in moisture, but yes the bees generate moisture, but I think it is less of a danger.

Also, I agree there is some relationship bee activity and rate usage of stored honey, but then I have read, and believe, some hives have starved because they were too cold to move to stored honey. Where the happy medium is, I do not know, but have faith in the bees ability to instinctley to what is right. I believe if the Top Bar has up to 100 lbs of honey, then consumption should not be a problem where I live. Last year, I had one Lang. hive which I wrapped in black tar paper and stores were not exhausted. I thought too much moisture occurred, but it did not affect the bees. My Top Bar Hives have at least 90 lbs from what I can guess. Will have to see what happens by Spring.

The question about the top. It is hinged as you can see, which makes sense to me. I always have a 1 inch insulation board inside the hop as shown in the photo. I did not have any excess moisture in hives this season.
    Attached Images Attached Images