Thread: SHB Trap

Default SHB Trap

Actually nothing at all in this beetle trap.

Take a piece of plastic cardboard, glue a half dozen plastic straws to it, place it on the top bars of your hive. When you open your hive, take the unit and knock the beetles out of the straws into a bucket of soapy water.

This idea was brought up at our latest Empire State Honey Producers Assn. meeting by a guy from PA, Mark Antunes. I think he is a PA Apiary Inspector.

I'm going to try it on some colonies in SC and see what I get. Just thought y'all might like to hear of it. It's a management tool, not a treatment.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Default Re: SHB Trap

I guess it needs to be plastic cardboard so the bees don't try to remove it, eh?
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

I'll bet you could use a popsickle stick instead of the cardboard. I think it's the straws the beetles are attracted to.

I'm also thinking dark straws - they make red ones - then set it in "straws down" - so it would be darker. Be curious to know how that works, without something like oil to kill them. Wonder how fast they will/can scatter when light hits.
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

Temperatures are much warmer than usual for this time of the year and I am finding beetles in the bottom pan, dead and alive, but they move very slow. From what I read the beetles concentrate in the bottom of the hive not the top. I am going to try the coroplast without the straws next year. If the coroplast is large enough for the beetle to enter it should act as the straw does.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
    I'm also thinking dark straws - they make red ones - then set it in "straws down" - so it would be darker. Be curious to know how that works, without something like oil to kill them. Wonder how fast they will/can scatter when light hits.
    The idea is that the beetles seek sanctuary from the bees by going into holes the bees can't access.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Done this before... cd cases worked better because the beetles would hide in the wedges between the straws and would also flee from the straws as soon as they were exposed, where as the cd cases were easier for the bees to guard, lay flat on the bottom board or top bars so the beetles couldn't hide beneath them, and they couldn't flee easily before they were "harvested". Any trap is better than nothing whatsoever though...