Default Will they Build Comb while polinating Almonds?

I have several boxes that are short of 20 frames built out comb. So can I put in foundation in a couple frames and will they build comb during Almonds? Not sure if the farmers want that but. I am hoping that I can have a couple un-built comb frames in a few on the outsides of the top box?

Default Re: Will they Build Comb while polinating Almonds?

me thinks that if they are on the outsides the bees diffinately wont touch it
    Greg Stahlman; Stahlman Apiaries Inc.

I would checkerboard in a couple foundation frames into the top box to help spread out the drawn combs throughout the hives. If you use a single drone comb in each hive, you'll be ready to split up hives with queen cells as soon as you get back from almonds, having plenty of drones for the virgins to drool over.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    I would checkerboard in a couple foundation frames into the top box to help spread out the drawn combs throughout the hives. If you use a single drone comb in each hive, you'll be ready to split up hives with queen cells as soon as you get back from almonds, having plenty of drones for the virgins to drool over.
    Ahh is that what I do with all those Green frames I have. Never used them yet. So even knowing it is mainly pollen in almonds and not nectar they will build out comb? Good to know. Then I think I will add a few un-drawn out comb frames for them to build out.

just depnds on the year. sometimes they will make honey off the almonds while other years they will just about starve. i dont really know much about varities of almonds trees and the conditions they require to produce nectar
    Greg Stahlman; Stahlman Apiaries Inc.

Feed them syrup, and get them near willows, mustard and what ever other wildflower that starts to bloom in mid to late January and early February.
    You got nothing to lose??
    "Success is all about attitude"
    California Almond Pollination Services, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebeeman View Post
    Feed them syrup, and get them near willows, mustard and what ever other wildflower that starts to bloom in mid to late January and early February.
    You got nothing to lose??
    I don't have a contract yet if anyone know of someone that can take an extra 80 or so or point me in the right direction.