Default Double Nucs like on Mike Palmer's presentation

Just curious, how thick can the splitting board be so that both colonies in the split deep can mutually heat each other. Is 3/4" too thick?

Default Re: Double Nucs like on Mike Palmer's presentation

No, 3/4 is what I use.

With 4 frames per side, is it better to push the frames together or space them out?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    No, 3/4 is what I use.
    Why the 3/4" and not something thinner to allow five frames each. I have too much tractor and machinery time to hear your presentation so I don't know your logic. It is 7 degrees here tonight with a long winter ahead. I would tend to want more room. Thanks

I space them out a little. They get puffed up a bit but I use 9 frames so it doesn't matter. Gives the combs plenty of room so I don't roll queens.

Luan divider is terrible. It falls apart when the frames get propolized to it. Sure you could add a fifth comb but it would be tight. Also, that thin a board wouldn't offer much against crossover. If I want more combs in the nucs I can add 4 frame supers above each.

I would think you want to push the frames of both sides in towards the divider in the center. That way they can more easily share heat thru the divider.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Thank you fellas. Absolutely agree about the luan.

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    I would think you want to push the frames of both sides in towards the divider in the center. That way they can more easily share heat thru the divider.
    One thing I find very interesting about these double nuc, divided boxes. The bees in each cavity don't form an independent cluster...two separate clusters in the box. They form one large cluster with the divider between them. That cluster must heat the divider to some degree...although when one side dies in winter, the other is often still strong and winters well. Ray, I do have a bit wider space between the outside comb and the hive wall, but not really much and I don't think it really matters.

Mike

Do you go 9 on all your hives?
    Chip Harlow

I'm just a small hobby BKer with 5 colonies. I've got a little experiment going this winter. I maintained two 5-frame nucs all summer/autumn and recently put them both into one 10-frame deep box, with a thin plastic divider that I bought cheap from Brushy Mtn suppliers. It's not ideal, but it expands in all four directions so that it keeps bees from one set of 5 frames from crossing over to the other nuc in the same deep. I had two separate front entrances. The box shares a single set of foamboard-insulated covers and a single plain bottom board. I then wrapped around the sides with tarpaper. They are in a spot protected from wind.

Neither nuc was particularly heavy with brood or stores, but each had at least 2 full frames of honey and a laying queen along with about 3 frames of bees.

I have no idea if either nuc will make it through, but will be thrilled if either survives. Next year, I might try two story nucs (5 over 5 nucs of 10 frames each), and maybe wrap two of those side by side with one tarpaper going around both.
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

Yes, 9 in all my hives.