Hybrid View

Default (2) 20 frame extractors vs (1) 50 or 60 frame extractor

This may be a stupid question....but can you spin more honey out faster with (2) smaller extractors vs (1) larger extractor. I am thinking that with two smaller extractors there would be an extractor spinning all the time and hardly no down time. With one large extractor, there would be more down time to load and unload. I am already thinking about next year and improving my extraction set up.

Default Re: (2) 20 frame extractors vs (1) 50 or 60 frame extractor

I would think having only one and having a break down meaning you can't spin any honey would be a consideration.

I do not have alot of experience extracting.

There is typically a shorter spin period on the larger extractors because the frames are farther from the axle. A 20 frame extractor can hold 30-40 med/shallows if you don't drop them into the slots. A 60 could be stacked up the same way. With a larger extractor and a silver queen one man can uncap while the extractor is spinning, and then load himself. Of course this could also be done with two smaller extractors, but with the two small you can have one uncapping and one loading if you have a good worker.

Tim

Been there done that. In my early years I ran to 20 frames for the first year. That is a total of 40 and you still have to load and unload either the 20's or the 60. One 60 is faster than two twenty's if you are by yourself. It also dpends on if you are using a hot knife or a good uncapper or Bogie or a good crew. Before I retired I ran 6 80's, 2 bogies. We ran 60 barrels through in a 24 hour period. Since I am now old and do it by myself I have two 50's and an uncapper. I can do about a 900 to 1000 lbs an hour with full deep supers.

I jumped to a 20-frame extractor, then bought a 12-frame thinking I could spin one while uncapping for the other.

I could not keep up with the two extractors unless I hired help. I keep bees at odd hours and help is hard to find with such a flexible schedle. So I sold the 12-frame.

Now I uncap 20 frames while 20 are spinning. In the time it takes me to uncap 20 frames, the extractor has done it's job. With another person, I could probably do more but one extractor is all I can handle.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

You still can not beat a Cowan 120 frame air ram extractor or a comparable Cook and Beals if you got one. TED
    ALABAMA BEE COMPANY-A member of the Sioux Honey association -*Sweetening a golden tommorrow*

2 extractors means less handling of frames as well as honey being spun while the other extractor is being filled. I know there are people who uncap and stand frames on a carousel, empty an extractor and then move frames from the carousel to the extractor. Less handling of frames to just put them in an extractor after uncapping.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

I use 2 extractors and have a 8 foot SS tub. It works well for me.