Thread: Mold problem

Hybrid View

Default Mold problem

Ref discussions:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...870#post726870

This is a first attempt for making hard cider as a practice run for making mead.

It looks like I have a problem. There looks to be fuzzy mold blotches on the very top of the fermentation. I can see a definite clarity of the liquid below and about a 1/4-inch layer of lees on the bottom. Can this batch be saved and did we do something wrong that created the mold?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Default Re: Mold problem

The appearance of mold isnt the greatest thing to happen, but it's not the end of the world. When you rack to a secondary vessel, carefully punch the end of the siphon tube through the mold layer floating on top. Then rack from the middle of the carboy (between the mold on top and the dredges on the bottom). You will need a steady hand towards the end when you are down to an inch or two of cider in the bottom of the carboy. Stop siphoning just before you start sucking in mold or yeast cake. If you wait until the fermenation has died down and the cider is relative clear in the primary before transferring, there wont be alot of nutrients left in the cider and you shouldnt get mold in the secondary. If you end up with a few floaties in the secondary, do the same process when you rack to the bottling bucket (or tertiary vessel).
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Is it the same for mead, floating mold not being the end of the world? My wife is in a hurry to start the mead process and I want to make sure we didn't mess something up before I waste 5 quarts of honey. I thought we did a decent job of sanitizing but after seeing the mold I am not sure.
    Brian Cardinal

How did you sanitize?
    Regards, Barry

You dont want mold, but sometimes it's hard to avoid if you use unpasturaized cidar and raw honey. If you did a good job sanitizing equipment (which I am sure you probably did), the mold spores probably came in with the cider and honey. You cant do much about that except boiling the must before pitching the yeast, which I dont think anyone would recommend if you want the real stuff (full flavor, natural, yada, yada).

Anyway, never throw out a batch because you *think* it may be bad. Wait it out and see. It is really hard when first starting out to not think something has gone wrong when you see alot of nasty trub, blow-off, and even mold in the fermenter.

Once it is clear, smell and taste a small sample and you will probably find out that it is just fine.

Never though I would get good advice from you. Thanks a bunch. Goes to show you can't judge a book from its cover.
    Brian Cardinal

I brewed my first batch of home brew in 1986.

Be careful handing those glass carboys. They are dangerous if they shatter.